Stuff you can't buy anymore

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once knew a bloke who used hemp for his joints, he wasn't a plumber though.

Yes i was Tapering my threads the other day,and thought 'Crikey' if only i had some 'Boss blue' round me 'Plumbing joints' twud make the job much more enjoyable,............i sighed and just 'Soldered

Always lead to believe that British Standard Pipe (BSP) is a thread size not a spanner size, A lot of electrical and model stuff is In British Assiciation (BA) size and British Standard Fine (BSF) and

Years ago my uncle, Frank Ward who lived in South Normanton, had a tobacconist shop on Parliament Street. As I remember it, it was a small shop on the right going towards Huntingdon Street, a good way down near a railway bridge (?). This was around 60 years ago so memory is a bit rocky.

If a tobacconist's shop went up "In smoke" these days the loss would be several millions in tax and a few quid in product.

I have a serious root fly problem here. I tried many solutions, all of which failed but then my father died and left me his gardening stuff. Amongst the horde was a box of BROMOPHOS. Now banned (presumably because someone in power noticed that it worked), it had the desired effect and for two seasons I had no root fly whatsoever. The only way a I can beat them now is with a semi-permanent covering of fleece or similar.

Iandawson #38: Nelson Squares recipe.........

http://petergeekie.hubpages.com/hub/Nelson-Squares-another-cake-from-my-childhood

#39 do you mean carrot root fly or another sort? If it's carrots then there are a number of organic ways of keeping clear. As they fly low then either a barrier around the bed or using a raised bed works. I also used to only thin late in the day when they were less active or grow alium with the carrots to mask the smell that attracts the flies. Surrounding the bed with marigolds helps as does watering with wood ash weekly too.

• Upvote 1

Whitworth spanners and sockets?

Do they come ready to undo a half inch nut though???

TV's with CRT's

"Glow in the dark" radios. (Valve radios).

Meggers so heavy they need a huge truck to move them...(one for electricians, God those old meggers were heavy)

• Upvote 1

Still got all mine, although this side of the pond it's mostly metric and ASE.

Just been looking up Britsish standard spanners etc and I'm surprised to see that you can still buy BA spanners as well as BSF and BSW. BSP is another thing though....

Always lead to believe that British Standard Pipe (BSP) is a thread size not a spanner size, A lot of electrical and model stuff is In British Assiciation (BA) size and British Standard Fine (BSF) and Whitworth (BSW) are mostly found on older stuff, cars,motor cycles,steam engines etc American Fine (AF) is still found on a lot of older vehicles,(1950's 1960's) especially Ford, although Raleigh industries did have their own thread for Bottom Brackets and head sets, pretty close to BSF, I know,shut up Rog you are boring us

Rog

• Upvote 2

I concur that BSP is a thread, not a spanner size. BSP is tapered to allow a tight fit and reduce the chance of leaks.

Other threads include the unified UNF/UNC but these use imperial 'across flat' spanners (same as AF - American Fine). When I was working on 'The Clock' I had to resolve a mix up between 5/16" UNC and 5/16" Whit as the threads are quite similar (differing only in the angle of the groove) - the tell-tale difference was the size of the screw head (UNC being smaller heads). Now who's being a bore?

Still have my old Whit and AF spanners, bought from a tool shop on Hall Street, Sherwood in the mid-1970s. Someone remind me of the shop's name or I'll have to find an old telephone directory. Was it Deans?