Paint & wallpaper shops

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First picture, not too clear. Looks like Steve was having some work done to make the right side shops added on to his 2 originals. Aunty Norah, Steve's wife, serving in the shop. 1954, Steve ma

Going back to katyjay's photo........ If that was taken in the backyard of the shop on Vernon Road, alongside the Leen, here's that same backyard and the Leen from another angle. Britain from Above

Here's a few, straight from Pic the Past. Angel Row, just down from the Odeon. Derby Road, near Canning Circus. Clinton Street / Parliament St Arkwright Street. Mansfield Road, Carrington

Cliff,you are a true gent!! The picture of Derby rd.is brilliant, I only remember Golden Cage and the small Post Office at that site. Further on was a morticians.. which became Something Special.Never knew where the Crown centre is pictured as Station Buildings!! Further down in the direction of the 'late' palace coffee house was a Leyland paint shop ( upstairs). I think it became Gladrags? Anyway thanks.

Yep Katy,great shop!! I remember when Texas opened up on Castle Boulevard it was a godsend, I had a snazzy pad on the bottom of North Sherwood St. and that was the closest then.Big D in Rise Park was an early out of town affair.on the bottom of Mansfield Rd.opposite BSM was a Dulux shop in between Clerks of Retford and Amplitones.

I remember Shaws decorators on Arky. They used to come and wallpaper our house until dad decided they'd got a bit pricy. He started doing it himself from then on. I can still hear him cursing away.

No shops there now 'Katyjay'......all flats, but i think theres a 'Polish Kob shop' just round the corner !

They used to sell 'Musky' peas as well.

#10 is Basford Crossing. David Lane / Lincoln St.

I remember Shaws decorators on Arky. They used to come and wallpaper our house until dad decided they'd got a bit pricy. He started doing it himself from then on. I can still hear him cursing away.

Shaws were opposite Robin Hood chippy, the daughter was quite nice.

Yes Den, I remember it's position well, not because it was opposite the Robin Hood, which did the best curry sauce of any of the Arky chippies, but because it was a few doors away from the torture chamber that was Mr. Moxon the dentist.

Didn't know the daughter at Shaws I'm afraid.

Nice frame of Steve's DIY shop Cliff,before cordless drills,we used yankies.. that shop sold top quality of those screwdrivers. I had forgotten about the More O'Farrell advert hoardings.. all in a row- sheiding the leen? Was a regular at Davids Lane UB office before it hit Bulwell. There was a bottle green huge furniture shop opposite the dole office.Basford weights was held here too.skived off school many a time in Vernon park!!

Ian, do you mean the DIY shop in #10? If so that wasn't my uncle's shop, Steve Clarke only did paint and wallpaper products. So his shops are only from the hoardings coming this way, stopping at the DIY. I have no idea who owned that.

First picture, not too clear. Looks like Steve was having some work done to make the right side shops added on to his 2 originals.

Untitled1_zpssak5ynnn.jpg

Aunty Norah, Steve's wife, serving in the shop.

60s27_zps98ok7u1x.jpg

1954, Steve married aunty Norah, wedding pic in back yard of shop, River Leen on left. Steve is the tall fella on the back row.

1954_zpsdu4rkqjr.jpg

• Upvote 5

TBI, there was a dentist opposite Muskham St, was it called Narna's?

Tilleys was another decorators shop, they had one on Beckhampton rd and later on Broxtowe lane.

I believe the dentist you mean was Nanda's. I think he may have taken over the practice when Moxon retired. I can remember his old Rolls Royce was always parked at the end of Muskham St.