Paint & wallpaper shops

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First picture, not too clear. Looks like Steve was having some work done to make the right side shops added on to his 2 originals. Aunty Norah, Steve's wife, serving in the shop. 1954, Steve ma

Going back to katyjay's photo........ If that was taken in the backyard of the shop on Vernon Road, alongside the Leen, here's that same backyard and the Leen from another angle. Britain from Above

Here's a few, straight from Pic the Past. Angel Row, just down from the Odeon. Derby Road, near Canning Circus. Clinton Street / Parliament St Arkwright Street. Mansfield Road, Carrington

Going back to katyjay's photo........

kath.jpg

If that was taken in the backyard of the shop on Vernon Road, alongside the Leen, here's that same backyard and the Leen from another angle. Britain from Above in the mid 30s. Vernon Road is the one on the right; you can just see Basford Crossing in the top right.

basford_4.jpg

• Upvote 3

That's a good picture of the row of cottages at the bottom of Southwark St, we've only seen a partly demolished pic of them before.

Ian, I think the big building is a factory, it's too low down Southwark Street to be the school. I bet Chulla knows what it is. Not sure what you are looking at regarding the fairground vehicle?

#32. Without going there to check, I think it is the building on the corner of Waterford Street, that leads up to the park entrance. Dobbs the picture framers used to be in there, followed by a charity organisation - The Little Sisters of Mercy, I think. Not certain but I also seem to remember that the open ground in that area was used for fair/wakes vehicles to lay up.

The row of cottages has, on its left corner, a toffee shop (and probably other things). On the right-hand corner was a shop that sold shoes (I think), and next to it just round the corner into the alley down the side of the Vernon Picture House, was a pawnbroker, with the three brass balls hanging outside of its entrance, The times I have queued down that alley waiting for them to open for the Saturday thre'penny rush.

#40 Little shop on the end of cottages,is where we purchased a 'Penny Sucker' before going into Vernon pictures,4d cost of Sat.pictures,then another 'Penny sucker' on way out,..............that was it,..........Tanner gone.

Re #41. I seem to remember it being called both, but either is better than David's Lane which it is now called.

#40. Thinking about my Quantum thread and how one's memory banks retain old memories, in the above photo, at far left, are the large trees at the entrance to a big house (not seen). It must have been around 1945 when I was passing the gate, and leaning on it was an old man. He beckoned me and then gave me a marble. I took it and almost immediately it fell from my hand, rolled down the pavement and fell down a grating. Why was this little incident remembered - was I ashamed or disappointed to the extent that it burned itself on my memory some 70 years ago?

I remember when most of the flats were Painter & Decorators row of shops belonging to "Steve Clark" ! In the '60s.

Always referred to as Basford Crossings.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9852497,-1.1819988,3a,75y,109.12h,81.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN5PsZ13PSQzLwk1-cz5XgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Upvote 1