Paint & wallpaper shops

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First picture, not too clear. Looks like Steve was having some work done to make the right side shops added on to his 2 originals. Aunty Norah, Steve's wife, serving in the shop. 1954, Steve ma

Going back to katyjay's photo........ If that was taken in the backyard of the shop on Vernon Road, alongside the Leen, here's that same backyard and the Leen from another angle. Britain from Above

Here's a few, straight from Pic the Past. Angel Row, just down from the Odeon. Derby Road, near Canning Circus. Clinton Street / Parliament St Arkwright Street. Mansfield Road, Carrington

#40. in the above photo, at far left, are the large trees at the entrance to a big house (not seen). It must have been around 1945 when I was passing the gate, and leaning on it was an old man. He beckoned me and then gave me a marble. I took it and almost immediately it fell from my hand, rolled down the pavement and fell down a grating.

I'm guessing this is the House, the Gate, and the Trees.

basford_6.jpg

• Upvote 1

#57. That's it CT. The road in forground is Bulwell Lane, leading to The Peach Tree pub. The row of houses bottom left were known as the canary houses, for some reason.

• 3 months later...

CliffTon, #4, picture of Derby rd, i think the window cleaners barrow and ladder belonged to my uncle Stan Wilkinson, he did all the shop windows around derby rd, canning circus, anyway the pic reminded me of him so many thanks for that

And it's the Pear Tree, Chulla. I went to Southwark Street school, and spent my pennies on warm cobs smeared with hard licquorice, from the shop facing the Stone Houses, which used to be on the corner of Bulwell Lane.

• Upvote 1

old school mate used to keep it ;Billy wilson with his wife pat, in the 80s,previously had the vale' at daybrook.

One of the shops he took over used to sell models and toys. I got my Dinkies from him, and later some model railway stuff.

As a child I had a clockwork Hornby 'O' gauge trainset and bought some wagons from that shop.

'