Certainly did Geoff, we were up there all the time on our bikes.

I now live in Strelley Village and can be there in 5 minutes and it is still a popular haunt for youngsters on track motorbikes. The only reason I go up there now is for a walk or blackberrying.....the best spot I know.

Yes I remember the sand banks. My grandfather used to take me there with bucket and spade when I was about 3 or 4 years old. It was lots of fun. Next to the sand quarry area was a field where we used to look for signs of rabbits. Happy, sunny days! Then we would walk up into Strelley village and look at the Church and walk around what I thought was a little park but it was the grave yard. Lots of lovely flowers. I did not like it in the Church as the roof inside seemed very high and dark. Not pleasant!

In later years I went up Sandy Lane (as we called it) with friends to collect wood from the hedges ready bonfire night. Before the clean air act my grandfather would collect sticks for firewood along that lane. I think it was called Strelley Lane and it went from Coventry Lane (Bilborough Road) up past the sand quarry to Strelley Village.

I used to go up there as a nipper on a Sunday afternoon,in summer,with my mam and dad;I'd be in the front on my blue three wheeler bike.Sometimes we would go down Wigman road and back up Beechdale road to get back home to Withern road.A few years later a few pals would go up there on our bikes and make our way down on to the new M1 before it was opened.