Football Rattle

Does anyone remember the football rattles that were used when I was a kid, the wooden thingymajig that used to make the most god awful noise? I used to live just off Arkwright St, not far from Trent Bridge & I remember when Forest had a home game we weren't allowed out as there would be a constant flow of football supporters walking to & from the game & I remember the sound of the rattles. I wonder when they ceased to be used? I bet there are a few hidden away somewhere in grandma's cubby hole.Trouble is even if the kids of today find one they won't know what it is............sad hey?

I've got one as well.( a rattle)

It's still got some red paint on it in spite of it being wrapped around several skulls.

I think it's red paint anyway.

Baz. :ph34r:

:Friends: Thanks red for bring that to my attention, i might make a bid concidering the seller lives just round the corner...

• 7 years later...

i was always crap at woodwork and in 1958 at padstow school we were alll tasked to make rattle,i managed to put the ratchet on back to front and it wouldnt spin.the teacher mr england was a big nasty sod and he decided to show the class what a t... i was,he placed it in a vice and proceeded to smash it to bits.i felt like crying,but being hard i held it back :rolleyes: being left handed didnt help,thats my excuse anyway.

Still got mine in the back of a cupboard. It would have been about 1964 /65 when I bought it from Beecroft's next door to Boot's on Pelham Street - I seem to remember they were having a closing down sale if that makes sense for that time.

Last took it to a match in 1966. I don't know just when, but with the rise of football hooliganism a few years later they were more or less banned due to being classed as an offensive weapon - mine is a pretty solid piece of work, although you used to see lighter and small ones.