Polishing Shoes ! Is it a Dying Art ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the title says, I like to polish my & Mrs Catfan's shoes, to me nothing looks better. A nice shiny pair of shoes I believe last longer & feel more comfortable too. Out & about on m

What a good new topic Catfan! I always keep my leather shoes well polished and my hubby always polishes his shoes before we go out, without fail. But it annoys me when he cleans them on the kitchen

Right off for a stroll, looks like rain?  

Shoes...Pants.....T shirts.............must all 'hug' Mick............don't like owt Baggy............feel nice and secure being Hugged...........ready for all that comes my way.........to me if it hugs it fits.............anyway when i ponce about in me pants and T shirt........shows off my physique....bit old and worn...........:angry:

Jill..........you may be right......;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For most days I wear outdoorsy style stuff, Mountain Equipment trousers, and Salomon shoes, with the quick lace system as I am a lazy. 

I do have some pairs of shoes which I bull to military standards. Main pair are Loakes and another military style oxblood shoes. Had them many years. Oddly enough I tend to wear them on my visits to London (gets you into some cocktail bars of renown). I do tend to dress like Henry Blofeld though. Even my mrs found the Fuscia jacket a little much. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I hope you don't dress like he was attired at the Test Match today. He made Michael Portillo look like a shrinking violet.

• Upvote 1

My sons boots are always polished to perfection says thats the first thing he learnt when joining up. His first instructor used to say if your boots don't shine nor do you.  On leave he lives in trainers.

• Like 1

I always keep my boots well polished,even used to polish my workboots every day when working in the quarry,dirty wet job but plenty of polish on me boots kept them waterproof as well as comfortable

Rog

• Like 1

Like tools, I was brought up to think I should buy good quality shoes.  Mum always took us to Luke's Shoe Shop in Carey Road just by the Adelphi Cinema in Bulwell.

As I recall the Children's 'department' was laid out with train murals on the walls.  They had one of those machines where you could stick your feet in and look through a viewer to see how your feet fit into them.  Some people thought they were dangerous.  Radiation and X-Rays etc.  I really don't know.  It's worth a bit of research.  Anyway, we mostly ended up with Clarke's shoes and they were decent quality.  These days I still tend to go to Clarke's shops or suppliers because they do wide fittings, which I need, though the quality of their stock is more variable these days.

I polish all of my leather shoes. I agree it is a very satisfying thing to do as well as preserving shoes.  I always had a bit of a dispute with Mrs Col about the girl's school shoes.  I ended up polishing them.. but I always thought the girls should learn how to do it themselves.  It's a basic skill.  I also like to keep trainers, walking boots etc., clean.  Incidentally I bought a pair of Merrell walking boots some years ago.  They were very light and supremely comfortable but they only lasted about 18 months despite being kept clean and treated with waterproofing. I now have a pair of Lowa  'all terrain'  boots for the heavy duty stuff, and a pair of moderately priced Karrimore walking shoes for Summer or less demanding walks.  If I can't get my knee sorted soon they may as well all be on eBay... :(

Little story.  Some years ago I was doing Youth Work on top of my Careers day job..  A young lad in the youth club came from pretty poor circumstances and a single parent home.   He was a lovely , polite and well behaved lad.  One night I complemented him on a new pair of shoes.  He said he liked them too but would probably get a telling off from his Mum because he had 'ruined them' playing football.  I suggested they just needed cleaning and polishing.. whereupon he gave me a puzzled look.  It turned out he had no idea how to clean shoes and there was no shoe cleaning 'kit' at home.  I agreed to show him the next night.  Next night I called him into the office.. 'for a word'.. thus securing privacy.  I was able to give him a spare polishing brush and show him how to use one end for black and the other for brown shoes.  An old cheap clothes brush stood in for a 'buffing' brush and a yellow duster for a final polish was no problem.  The young lad was very happy with the result, and I like to think he took his newly acquired skill home with him.

Col

• Like 1

With Dad being ex army he always used to polish his shoes to a military shine and regularly brought home his pit boots for an application of dubbin.

I am not so fastidious, a  brush with the polish, a shine with a brush and a quick buff with a soft cloth will do.

P1050981.jpg

I use a good quality waterproofer followed by a good quality polish,keeps me boots nice and supple which makes for comfortable footwear

Rog

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...