Polishing Shoes ! Is it a Dying Art ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the title says, I like to polish my & Mrs Catfan's shoes, to me nothing looks better. A nice shiny pair of shoes I believe last longer & feel more comfortable too. Out & about on m

What a good new topic Catfan! I always keep my leather shoes well polished and my hubby always polishes his shoes before we go out, without fail. But it annoys me when he cleans them on the kitchen

Right off for a stroll, looks like rain?  

My Dad used to clean all of the shoes in our house too. We had a lesson in Domestic Science at school, on how to clean a pair of shoes! Must admit I do it very rarely, now, and our boys, both in their 20's, would never think of doing it, but then, they wear trainers most of the time.

So what do my dirty trainers imply Michael. LOL

• Upvote 1

Remove laces, wipe the uppers clean and brush the soles and instep, apply Kiwi (no other polish will do) with a soft fluff free cloth using small circular motions, set to one side and repeat on other shoe, wait 30 minutes.

Obtain small jar of water from fridge, using a clean cloth dip in cold water and rub up using small circular motions until they start to gleam. The rear of the heel gets the same treatment as the uppers whilst the instep is buffed with a light brush.

Replace laces making sure they lay flat between the holes.

Taught by a 'Wooden Top' Pirbright Guards Depot.

I have to be honest and say now I only do this for weddings and funerals these days and at my time of life it is mainly the latter!

• Upvote 1

#35 Water from the fridge. Fridge? fridge? polishing shoes properly died out as fast as the sales figures of fridges went up around here mate. Arthur Seaton was probably one of the last people to go downtown in shiny shoes.

Can't remember when I cleaned a pair of shoes properly last time. I have two pairs of good leather Clarkes shoes (which I always replace when I come to the uk) but I tend to just wipe them witha cloth now, but then again being retired I hardly wear them here in oz ! dont wear long trousers much, unless I go on my motorbike !

My main footwear now is a pair of sketchers that just get thrown in the laundry and come out like new, the most comfy casuals I've ever owned. My others are yes you guessed it, flipflops or as the aussies term them "thongs". But they are Scholl ones again from the uk.

Re #38. There's not much call for these in Bulwell thank Goodness. You'd be lynched !!!!!

• 1 year later...

Having worn steel toe capped boots sometimes 7 days a week, sometimes doing 15/18 hour shifts for 35 odd years, I used to love on a Saturday night putting on a brand new pair of socks & my best shoes, but what I've not told you when I do buy a pair of shoes I usually try about 70 or 80 pairs on sometimes more, over about 3/4 months before I decide what I'm buying, I aways try them on early in the first hours of the day, Mrs Red refuses to come shoe shopping with me, I have just checked I only have 2 pairs of trainers 3 pairs of shoes & 1 pair of boots, plus these Merrell walking trainers below which I'm using in my new gainful employment, I'm walking about 12 to 14 mile a day & I must say there the bollocks I could go round again.

Come on show us your shoes?     

36214996520_1f5f4ac608_b.jpg

• Like 1

As a teenager, I regularly bought suede shoes as I hated cleaning mine. Beige desert boots being my preference. 

Got a pair of black patent leather slip ons, only need dusting and look great,

Trouble is gone off slip ons,like to feel a tight secure knot/bow,....like all my clothes to hug me....must be sumat freudian...