Absolutely nothing wrong with the bus service. Bus stops are also at more frequent intervals than tram stops. No ridiculous expense of laying tracks, no inconvenience to peoples lives, homes businesses etc. Totally pointless it coming west of Cinder Hill.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you probably know or don't, I am a keen cyclist although I generally ride a recumbent trike these day but seeing how some of these "Lycra Louts" perform on the narrow lanes out here in the land tha

Buy your bleddy own Michael ! Seriously, I would happily buy you a pint Michael ! Going back to cyclists, most & I mean most cyclists are very safe & responsible on the road. Two types of c

#54 I would name one CoCo the clown as the whole thing is a joke

Can't agree with you, Malcolm; anything that cuts down the traffic at the Nuthall island at the rush-hours has to be worth considering. Get in the queue that stretches from the new Bulwell cemetery to the island, where the traffic lights only let four vehicles through at a time, and you might chnage your mind. To the left of the A610 from the M1 to the Nuthall island is a huge field that could be a tram stop and car park. The problem might be in how to get to the field - a flyover over the island?

The lights only let four cars through is because most drivers don't pay attention . Once the lights turn amber, the first six at least should be moving in unison. Not one move off then the second considers moving etc. it's the same at Basford Crossing. If folk paid more attention, then more would get through.

• Upvote 2

The route the Kimberley tram wants to take is such a bad idea....The Tunnel is blocked Kimberley end....also if the tram comes through there, they will destroy the cutting between the tunnel and the brewery....The tunnel now has houses on top of it.....the secret bunker is no more as it was being turned into a guest house........loadsa other reasons why its a bad idea too.

What Brewery???????????

Do you mean that derelict site destroyed by Greene King?

Yes, I still hate that corporate, destructive company, the only pub in Braintree that serves anything but their tainted beer is Whetherspoons, hats off to them for making a stand against them.

• Upvote 1

Re #29 - too true. I don't know if they start texting while the lights are on red (or maybe get their knitting out). Then suddenly there is a hoot from behind and they look up, see the empty road in front of them, and start to ponder "Now where on earth did I put the gear lever?" Never mind these "Think once, think twice, think bike" signs by the side of the road. What we need is "Don't multi-task when driving!"

• Upvote 1

Don't forget the other cause of extended waiting at junctions - cars with Stop / Start technology.

It's perfectly good if the driver is paying attention and anticipates lights, but if they don't press the clutch pedal until the lights change, then the wait gets longer.

#32. Cliff Ton.

Sorry I have to disagree with you regarding stop-start technology. My car has it & is one of the best ideas since pneumatic tyres were invented.

Depressing the clutch pedal & the engine comes to life straight away, no iffs or buts but instantly ! I've tried to beat it, but can't.

I've never understood the stop / start system. Surely the battery gets drained with continual restarting.

#32. Cliff Ton. Sorry I have to disagree with you regarding stop-start technology. My car has it & is one of the best ideas since pneumatic were invented.

Depressing the clutch pedal & the engine comes to life straight away, no iffs or buts but instantly ! I've tried to beat it, but can't.

No, I agree with you !! My car has S/S as well and it took me about 5 minutes to get used to it. I think it's great. The problem is people out there driving S/S cars and still haven't mastered the art of anticipating the lights and pressing the pedal at the right time.

FLY, s/s won't work if the battery is not at optimum voltage & other important criteria are not met, very complex arrangement !

There is a switch on the dash to switch the thing off if required.

When the car engine's at normal operating temperature, the battery drain is negligible and is replenished within seconds of re-starting.

I don't know about getting used to the pedals on a manual, but in an automatic car, the system is virtually unnoticeable.

#28 I have been on all roads into that roundabout at all times of the day, I drive for a living. Try being on the A610 queuing to go north or south on to the M1 or coming into Nottingham at 8.30 am. A major reason that only 4 cars get through is due to dozy drivers. An easier way to shorten the queues rather than installing trams and all the rest of the inconvenience that comes with it is simply to put on extra buses. The bus companies need to be encouraged to do so.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps. Not many seats on the tram so people are packed on standing. Trent/Barton or whatever they call themselves these days don't have double deckers. It would help if they did at least at peak periods.

• Upvote 1

And another thing. How many extra trams can you put on at peak periods on a single track? You can put as many extra buses on as you like. you also have to persuade people to use them of course

Forgive my ignorance, but as an outsider; every time I come to Nottm- car restrictions around the Square seem to radiate further. My thoughts were that buses would eventually be phased out- cars from say Glasshouse st up to Chapel bar area would be banned and a huge emphasis on tram useage. Plus maybe in the future (or now!!) Car parking and bus fares will rocket in price ' steering all to use it to attempt a recovery of the installation costs...just a thought.

I don't think you're far wrong Ian.

This loony labour council's pet project can't be spoiled by a few "naysayers", This council will make everyone use the tram by hook or by crook.

When all of the alternatives have been removed by making them too expensive, only the tram will be left.