• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you probably know or don't, I am a keen cyclist although I generally ride a recumbent trike these day but seeing how some of these "Lycra Louts" perform on the narrow lanes out here in the land tha

Buy your bleddy own Michael ! Seriously, I would happily buy you a pint Michael ! Going back to cyclists, most & I mean most cyclists are very safe & responsible on the road. Two types of c

#54 I would name one CoCo the clown as the whole thing is a joke

Who would I name one of the trams after? Easy; Major Frank Halford. I bet none of you have ever heard of him. He was born and raised in Edwalton, served in WW1 and then made his name in aero-engine engineering. He worked for de Havilland and designed the Gipsy series of engines for the Moth biplanes, thousands of them - Gipsy Moth, Tiger Moth, Hornet Moth, Puss Moth, and many others that were the backbone of the British light aircraft scene in the pre-war years. He then went to Napier and designed their engines, including the mighty 24-cylinder Sabre that powered the Tempest and Typhoon. From there he then went on to jets, and for de Havilland he designed the Goblin, which was much better than what Rolls-Royce was making at the time, powering the Vampire. Its big brother, the Ghost powered the world's first jet airliner to enter service, the Comet. He was probably Nottingham's greatest engineer, yet nowhere in the city is he commemorated.

• Upvote 2

You're right Chulla, I've never heard of him. When you said Halford I thought you meant the bike & later car parts empire bloke ! Then you said "Goblin" & I thought Hobgoblin !!! or possibly the vacuum cleaner maker.

Never mind, you explained who he was perfectly to us heathens !

Frank Bernard Halford was born at 24 Mapperley Road on 7 May 1894, Before the First World War he was a competing member of the Nottingham and District Motor Cycle Club. His father was the Sheriff in 1912 when the family moved to The White House in Edwalton. He got his degree at the University College (now Trent University). He died in 1955. The Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust published a book about him and his life.

As you probably know or don't, I am a keen cyclist although I generally ride a recumbent trike these day but seeing how some of these "Lycra Louts" perform on the narrow lanes out here in the land that god forgot it's no wonder we get comments like the one posted by Catfan and for the majority of the idiots out here I fully agrre with him, they complain about motorists not giving them enough room on the road when they ride along upto four abreast refusing to let the motorist through then the arrogant ba---ds expect the pedestrians to move out of their way,yes catfan I am with you all the way.

Rog

ps, none of them have a bell fitted to their bikes in case it spoils the look of them plus it's "added weight" ???

• Upvote 6

Buy your bleddy own Michael ! :jumping:

Seriously, I would happily buy you a pint Michael !

Going back to cyclists, most & I mean most cyclists are very safe & responsible on the road. Two types of cyclists get hurt, young kids who have no road sense at all, thier parents SHOULD ensure that they the kids are competent on the road before letting them on the road. Secondly the worst cyclists in my experience are the lycra clad idiots who are so arrogant as plantfit pointed out. I have had many a near miss with these undertaking a HGV to beat traffic congestion, the times I have turned left at traffic lights & noticed these clowns sat between me & the kerb, I have been sorely tempted !

A cyclist vs a forty four ton wagon ? No contest. ! noblue

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Tough S*&T if you live in Ruddington, It's only two miles to the tram .

One other factor in the closure of this bus service not quite mentioned in the Post's article, is that Trent Barton is a part owner of the Tram system itself in Clifton and therefore has a strong financial interest in the Tram line to Clifton. This might, just might be another undeclared reason for shutting down the Ruddington Connection bus through Clifton. Competition a good thing? Obviously not in this case.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Tram-line-sinks-bus-route/story-27856899-detail/story.html

I would love a nice (future) trip by train from the Ruddington (GCR) site to connect with the tram at some point, maybe Wilford?

Last did this in the 1960's but went all the way to Nottingham Victoria !

• 4 weeks later...