The saying was pre Victorian . This from 1807 .
In Hyde Park , a gay assemblage of pedestrians availed themselves of the fineness of the day .......when about two o’clock, a sudden shower of rain , occasioned a general scamper, and the Ladies ran in all directions, careless of the display of their well-turned ankles, and regardless of the sneers of three old fashioned peepers, who looked in vain to see even a solitary petticoat. 
03 June 1807 - Morning Advertiser - London
  • Like 2
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben card 12.  An MG NA Airline Coupe and a Morris 8 van. The car is still in existence.  

All good things come to an end, and so has this series of Christmas cards by the BEN motor charity. It has promoted interest and no doubt reminded some of the older members of times past, and vehicles

Our eldest son is a bit artistic and recently drew his dog and a friend's dog.... they'll never be famous works of art but I like them (of course!)   D

Ben that makes two of us always loved a slim shapely leg.

Gem great to hear the news of Bens progress, it should really help him not being upset by sharp loud noises. If I can help further let me know the old gun dog trainers really knew their stuff. No one believes me when I tell them that by following their instructions at 12 weeks my Jack would sit to command and I had never touched him just used his natural instincts and food;)

• Like 1

Ben card 16. Back to an earlier period now. Don't know what the car is - early Singer?, but the vehicle behind it is one horsepower. Note that the tricycle has an engine powering the front wheel - take note Rog. Question: Did railway locomotives in the early part of the century have that type of firebox (Belpaire?) The advertising sign is for Hercules cycles.

Ben_card_16.jpg

• Like 5

Singer did start out making cycles then progressed to motor powered vehicles and then cars. The veteran car could be a Stanley Steamer, seems like a lot of associated pipework around the front. Any further suggestions anyone?

I think you are spot on MI with the identity of the car. And thanks for info on Belpaire fireboxes (I asked carni, but she didn't know). :rotfl:

7 hours ago, Chulla said:

Ben card 16. Back to an earlier period now. Don't know what the car is - early Singer?, but the vehicle behind it is one horsepower. Note that the tricycle has an engine powering the front wheel - take note Rog. Question: Did railway locomotives in the early part of the century have that type of firebox (Belpaire?) The advertising sign is for Hercules cycles.

Ben_card_16.jpg

The loco in the painting looks to me like GWR Badminton class 3292-3311, introduced C1897. 

Edit. Date as per MI's post.

440drawing-3292-J_zpsew9gdiwc.gif?w=480&

And a model of same

images_zpsqvky10vv.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=c

A very relaxed scene and even has the old bobby who's not bristling with weapons.

• Like 1

Ben card 17. A different artist. The bus is a 1957 Dennis Lancet, the motorcycle is a BSA, and I think the sidecar is a Watsonian. The artist has skilfully depicted the horrible wet, slushy snow conditions. 

Ben_card_17.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Nice to see Raleigh on the advertising board, and what about that poor bloke on the bicycle trying to keep upright

Rog

• Like 2
On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, carni said:

Belpaire fireboxes are my speciality. Now then, what did you want to know? 

Now that you are back, carni, what I wanted to ask you is: How many fire-tubes does the firebox feed?  And what coal do you use for the best steaming - Welsh or another type - Gelding Colliery perhaps?

• Like 1

I thought that, MI, but that's what it said on the back of the card. I think that the artists aren't that knowledgeable about such things.

Gelding - yeah, a Freudian slip.

Chulla, You know how many fire-tubes a fire box feeds. You are just trying to trick me. It's three of course, Pink, Blue and Lemon, with dots on. As for coal, it has to be Gelding, is there any other, neigh I say neigh! :biggrin:

• Like 6

Ben card 18. A moody moonlight picture of a Bentley. With a few Hobgoblins inside you, you could be forgiven for thinking that the little stone bridge is the one over the River Leen in Bulwell, with St Mary's church in the background.

Ben_card_18.jpg

• Like 3

Not long at all, if it belonged to the David Beckham look alike, and I use the words look alike, very very loosely!!!!

• Upvote 1

Ben card 19. No info but vehicles are identifiable. The registration identifies the red car as a Jaguar XK120. Behind it is a Sunbeam-Talbot (note the trademark wind horns). Behind that is a Riley, as seen in an earlier card. The head-on car is a Morris 8 Tourer, as seen in card 3, and the lorry looks like a Commer. The Triumph motorbike is an early post-war model, before they introduced that awful sprung-hub rear suspension. The registration looks late for that model. 

Ben_card_19.jpg