• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben card 12.  An MG NA Airline Coupe and a Morris 8 van. The car is still in existence.  

All good things come to an end, and so has this series of Christmas cards by the BEN motor charity. It has promoted interest and no doubt reminded some of the older members of times past, and vehicles

Our eldest son is a bit artistic and recently drew his dog and a friend's dog.... they'll never be famous works of art but I like them (of course!)   D

Ben card 20. The car is a 1938 2-litre Triumph Vitesse (one seen in an earlier card) and a de Havilland Dragon Rapide airliner of Scottish Airways in its early wartime camouflage. The airline had five Dragon Rapides, all of which were soon to be impressed into the RAF.

Ben_card_20.jpg

• Like 3

Chulla many thanks for posting these cards , I look for them every time I visit Nottstalgia and I  get great pleasure in looking at them and admiring the great British design and engineering, thanks I look forward to many more.

Thank you, Trogg. I appreciate your acknowledgement. Sad to say there will only be four more cards. The chap who sent them to me died last year. You can find out more about them by Googling Ben charity and see some that I do not have. They are not cheap - I think £1.85 is the lower price for each.

On 25/12/2017 at 8:31 AM, Chulla said:

. The head-on car is a Morris 8 Tourer, as seen in card 3, and the lorry looks like a Commer.

Ben_card_19.jpg

Chairman, I propose that:

1/ the green car be identified as a 1954 Singer Roadster.

2/ the blue lorry be identified as a Fordson Thames (1947-1957)

I agree that they are beautiful to look at and evocative for some my age.

Hmmm, WW. You might be right about the lorry, but I'm sticking with a Morris for the little green car.

I was too young to appreciate the sensation caused at the1948 motor show by the xk120 but looking at the historic press pictures I think all the talk of the 120 overshadowed the equally deserving, classic designed Jaguar mk V saloon. From an aesthetic viewpoint I would put them equal for appeal. Two different markets, I know. The 2 cars shared most of the mechanicals. 

On 27/12/2017 at 8:43 AM, Chulla said:

Hmmm, WW. You might be right about the lorry, but I'm sticking with a Morris for the little green car.

Definitely a Morris 8 Tourer. I had a 1938 model. Green and black, It was the car I had when first meeting Mrs PP at the Palais. I bragged that I had an open top sports car. On our first date I gave her a lift home in it. Unfortunately it was raining. The roof leaked so badly she had to put her umbrella up inside the car :rolleyes: When she asked if it was a 'real' sports car  I pointed out that it did have an MG steering wheel  (that I had fitted).

• Like 1

Ben card 21. A Bedford lorry, a Lambretta scooter and an MGA sports car. The railway engine is an ex-LNER 0-6-0, Class J38, number 65901. I checked my stockbook - I hadn't seen it.

Ben_card_21.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I reckon that the bike could be a Rudge Lightweight, we need an expert on the case. Where are you Plantfit and P/P?

Always good to see that despite the inclement weather the MGA has the rag top stowed as it should be.

And the bike looks like a Raleigh all steel with three speed Stumey Archer gears and hub dynamo lighting  thumbsup

Rog

Great set of pictures again Chulla,thanks for posting them

Yes Rog - could be a Raleigh. Not clear but the shiny bit on the fork crown my be the trade mark chrome cup insert.

Thanks again for posting them chulla. We received a BEN card for Christmas. Not numbered but had a 1934 MG P type in the foreground. We won't throw this card away.

PP. Your turn next, then, to post your card. The cards are not numbered. They are my numbers so that I can refer to them again, if necessary.  I wondered why the crossing-gate was not closed, but then realised that the engine has stopped to allow it to be. There again, most crossing gates  I remember closed over the lines. Personally, I was never struck on the design of the MGA. Now, the MGB, that's a different matter.

2 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

OK chulla - once I've got me new Amazon Fire thingey fired up I'll have a go at taking and posting pictures.

Have you not got a scanner, PP? Just too easy if you have. Scan into a file (eg, Documents). Go into Postimage (first register with them - only the once) and then follow instructions posted in this forum.

Ben card 22. A Rolls-Royce 40/50 Landaulette. behind which is a Zenith-JAP V-twin motorcycle. The butcher's van in the background is a Ford Model T.

Ben_card_22.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for these cards Chulla, like most of us I find them fascinating and so full of interesting detail, but again you've not identified the bike, could be a Hercules, and pleased to see that the mince pies are in proper short crust pastry.

• Like 1

The only bicycles with a curved down tube that I know of are usually American from the late 1800's until the 1950's they are the Schwinn and the Elgin, I wonder if the artist used a bit of artistic license on this one, I will keep looking though,I rather like the handlebars on this model

Rog

The one depicting the J38 steam loco could be somewhere in Scotland, because the engine was shedded at Thornton Junction in Fife, which is a relatively remote area, so they could be more relaxed regarding the use of the gates. Their loco's never ventured far from the local collieries and surrounding areas.