I thought it was such a shame that Lord Baths paintings were removed from longleat,at least I got to see them a few years ago.

One of my favourite paintings is The Nightmare by fusilee.....I also love one that's in nottingham castle,of three ladies playing cards,I don't know who painted it or it's title but it's wonderful. I love the sculpture by Rodin called The Kiss.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben card 12.  An MG NA Airline Coupe and a Morris 8 van. The car is still in existence.  

All good things come to an end, and so has this series of Christmas cards by the BEN motor charity. It has promoted interest and no doubt reminded some of the older members of times past, and vehicles

Our eldest son is a bit artistic and recently drew his dog and a friend's dog.... they'll never be famous works of art but I like them (of course!)   D

CP. This one? It's called In Love, painted by Marcus C Stone. Just realised it isn't, but it is nice all the same.

In%20Love%20%20by%20Marcus%20C%20Stone_z

Think this is the one you meant. It is called Love's Oracle, painted by Albert Ritzberger

Loves20Oracle_zpsrhqwpzh8.jpg

• Upvote 1

CP. Eat your heart out, We have got a framed print of the picture. Used to hang in our spare bedroom - your interest reminded me and have dug it out.

• 1 year later...

A good friend of mine died last August. He always sent me a Christmas card published by Ben, the Motor and Allied Trades Benevolent Fund. The cards always featured nice Christmassy pictures depicting vehicles mainly  of the 1940s and 1950s. This is a typical one and shows a Sunbeam Talbot 90 Mk.II, a Bristol single-decker bus and a Matchless trial motorbike. The railway engine is a Fowler 'Crab'.

I have a number of these cards. If anyone is interested in seeing more of them I will put them on the thread, one every two weeks.    

Xmas%20card%201_zpscbkvspol.jpg

• Upvote 7

You are absolutely right Siddha. They just ooze my chidlhood years just after the war. Wait till you see the others.

• Upvote 1

Ben card 3

Won't keep you waiting any longer, Siddha. This scene shows a 1938 Morris Eight Tourer, a 1937 990cc Matchless model X and a 1933 MG J1 Midget.

Ben%20card%202_zpsg4wdl0gr.jpg

• Upvote 7

Chulla - that Morris 8 is exactly like the one I had. Same year and colour. It was the car I had when courting Mrs PP. I told her I had a sports car when we first met at the Palais. Well - it had an MG steering wheel that I fitted. Mrs PP had to use a brolly when it rained due to a very leaky hood.

• Upvote 1

Some of the cards do not identify the vehicles in the pictures. Others, I cut off the side that had that information - I had an idea to frame them, but never did. Lots more to come.

In case anyone is interested, if you Google 'Ben Christmas cards' you will get details of the packs of the cards they sell for their charity.

#15. Just for you Lizzie. Merry Christmas. ( A Riley and a Foden lorry, with an Austin Healey in the showroom)

Ben%20card%204_zps02b13ngp.jpg

• Upvote 3

You might be right, Ian. Some of the cards state that the garages are still going, and that some of the actual cars in the pictures are still around and who owns them.

Nice pic, but I think every town had a Hilltop Garage. I well remember one at Blyth.

Re the J2, I once foolishly bought a 1933 one, but couldn't keep up with the cost of keeping it on the road. I reluctantly sold it, and bought a Mini van. That was in 1964 though !

Any painting by Dante Gabriel Rossetti . I love the colours he produces.

Now living not far away from the scenes depicted,  love many of the Newlyn and St.Ives artists .

This is Waiting For The Boats by Walter Langley . Look at the anxiety on the faces of the fish-wives .

30988-Walter%20Langley-Waiting_For_The_B

many more of his here :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=walter+langley&safe=strict&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVy7ymzu7QAhVoAcAKHVWTAJMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=673

• Upvote 5

To make it on-topic Dame Laura Knight wife of Stanhope Forbes the leader of the Newlyn "school" was born in Long Eaton and studied at Nott'm School of Art . Some of her work 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dame+laura+knight&safe=strict&client=ms-android-motorola&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif7Ya72O7QAhXILMAKHammDCwQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=512

• Upvote 2