One of my favourite painters, actually from Notts, Arthur Spooner. This painting of his of Goose Fair I'm especially fond of, to me it's just magical. I can smell and hear the sounds of the fair when I look at it. There are much clearer pics of it online if you wish to see, or even better, in person at Notts Castle.

http://Spooner-3_zpsmtkh9uyy.jpg 

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben card 12.  An MG NA Airline Coupe and a Morris 8 van. The car is still in existence.  

All good things come to an end, and so has this series of Christmas cards by the BEN motor charity. It has promoted interest and no doubt reminded some of the older members of times past, and vehicles

Our eldest son is a bit artistic and recently drew his dog and a friend's dog.... they'll never be famous works of art but I like them (of course!)   D

I am not an appreciator of modern art - it's the Victorians for me. But there is always an exception, and for me this is it. It is titled 'Nighthawks', painted in 1942 by American artist Edward Hopper.

I would imagine that most artists would like us to stand within the scene that they have painted, and not on the periphery looking in. With this picture I find it easy to imagine myself actually standing outside of the diner.

It doesn't have much to say or show but it evokes the early morning desolation so well. I'd have it on my wall.

Had a problem capturing the image - hope it  posts alright.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=xzq0zuNk&id=653E4C4B5301A538B7E218967744FC000D556CA5&thid=OIP.xzq0zuNkHZv0yc-K02a8TAEsCk&q=nighthawks&simid=608022518745269507&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I'm sure I've a framed print of this in the loft. I'll have to have a rummage after my BH holiday weekend.

• 3 months later...

This time last year I posted a series of images of Christmas cards showing old motoring scenes, issued by the motoring charity BEN. During this month I will post the rest of them.

Ben card 11: A Bentley 3-litre shooting brake with 1928 30 cwt Dennis lorry in background

Xmas_card_1.jpg

• Like 4

Ben card 11. Talbot 14/50 tourer (still n existence) with Ariel 550 cc side-valve with Watsonian Launch sidecar, and behind a Morris Minor 5 cwt van.

Ben_card_11.jpg

• Like 6

Great post Chulla,

Just trying to recall what the adverts are... I've recognise the following

Rinso

Van Houtens Cocoa

Black Cat Bath Crystals

Fry's Five Boys Chocolates

The one just visibly near the radiator of the van Looks like Camp Coffee

I can't work out what the one that looks like a barrel on a yellow back ground is?

• Like 1

Oz, sorry I cannot identify the advert on the original card. It looks like the first letter is M. Being a village store, perhaps it is not a barrel but an tub of something, with a pressed-in lid. The scene is dated as 1930s.

Commo. Twelve more to come - some with chuff-chuffs in the pictures.

• Like 1

I seem to remember seeing the tub one previously. Is it for molasses, syrup or treacle of some description ?

That's what I thought F2. I thought I could just see an 's' in the word. the printing is made up of a series of dots, so fine detail not so clear. 

I've just googled Enamel Advertising Signs, but nothing similar.

Ben card 13. No details for this one, but we can see that the LMS railway engine dates the scene to 1948 at the latest. The engine's number appears to be 5514, which makes it one of the Patriot Class, with the name Holyhead. The Bentley car is a Mk.V or Mk.VI, and there is a Morris  light lorry in the background. The MG sports car (I think) has a registration  of the late 1950/early 1960 period, so is an anachronism. The motorbike is an HRD,  later to become the Vincent.

I could be wrong, but I thought that Power petrol was a wartime/early post-war fuel of low grade. 

Edit. Just realised that the wartime low-grade petrol was POOL.

Ben_card_13.jpg

• Like 6

The sports car is not an MG, could it be a Singer?  The registration would as you say appear to be inconsistent with the car.

Power petrol was certainly available into the early 60`s as Dad would drive miles past Esso and Shell stations to find it, making do with National Benzole if all else failed.

Edit - Power petrol is still available although not widely.

No new ideas on the yellow poster in the first picture ? I've tried Googling tar products too, but drew a blank.

It looks vaguely familiar to something I remember but I can't recall what. Looks like a cauldron to me with a brand across the middle. Or maybe a tin of summat.