Free online old Nottingham maps

Enigma1st showed me this brilliant website run by Nottingham City Council. It started years ago as the NOMAD (Nottingham Online Maps And Data) project where they collated various geographical data and made it interactive and on-line.

http://info.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/insightmapping

Among lots of data it has historical maps and aerial photographs of the City and County areas that you can overlay with a current map. By using a slider, you can cross-fade from old to current to see how it has changed.

At the top of the screen where it says 'Road map', select 'Historical'. You then have two sliders: the upper one selects the historical map and the lower one is the cross-fader.

There are gaps in the data so sometimes you get a blank screen but in the main, it's really good. You can zoom in to a level where individual properties are outlined, with house numbers on the modern maps.

SAVING/PRINTING: Clicking on Print (options) should allow you to print to PDF, JPG and other formats. It appears to create the output online then you save the image. Choosing PDF didn't work for me but I managed to get one as JPG. May need a bit of experimenting with the options.

There's lots more on the site, particularly for manipulating modern data sets but I haven't explored further yet.

Thank you again to Enigma1st for showing me this.

• Upvote 8