http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/beatles-and-elvis

This weekend it is 50 years since Elvis met The Beatles so Radio 2 are commemorating this event with a weekend of Elvis and Beatles songs , interviews etc culminating on Monday from Breakfast to Drivetime playing the top 50 from both artists.

Like me Chulla, never really liked either.

I was a member of the Elvis fan club, used to get 'priority request cards' to send to Radio Luxembourg (think it was on frequency 208) to get his records played. Then lying in bed with transistor to ear to see if they did.

It's a bit like that question 'who do you like - The Beatles or The Stones ?'

My answer was always that I liked both.

I didn't see why I had to prefer one or the other.

Same with Elvis.

I like The Beatles, The Stones AND Elvis.

I doubt we will never see their like again.

Oh and think Elvis's hair colour was brown.

He definitely dyed it black.

That autopsy programme said that at the time of his death he was probably grey or even white.

Makes sense, as his dad had very striking grey hair.

I always thought Elvis was sleasy and way overated, I liked the early Beatles, and some later Lennon stuff.

Always remember when Elvis died as a couple of mates and I were leaving that day to work in the middle east, for 3 months, one of the guys wive's was more upset over bloody Elvis departing than her husband !

We used tio wind him up something awfull over it for ages.

We have friends now, and the wife still lives and breathes Elvis ! I quite upset her once when I gave my usual opinion about him, she didn't speak to me for a week Ha Ha stupid woman.

• Upvote 4

I was on stage during an amateur performance once when one of the cast spotted and old lady in the audience. He asked her, 'Ever spoken to Elvis'? - 'No' - 'Ever seen him' - 'No' - 'Won't be long now will it'? Subtle or what!

• 1 year later...

Was in Thailand a few years ago and there they have heaps of so called Elvis impersonators, most if not all were total rubbish, especially trying to sing the songs in broken english.

I still hate Elvis and when on the car radio I have to change stations quick :-)), makes me cringe.

• Upvote 1

As I've frequently said..... An oily mommas boy !

• Upvote 1

'Hate' Elvis is a bit strong for me.. but I certainly ended up up with a severe dislike of all he stood for.  He started out by 'covering' mostly black music, which he barely acknowledged.  He ended up as a caricature of himself, barely able to sing coherently.  Sad, but true.

The Beatles on the other hand, started out with a good few covers of American music which they not only acknowledged, but celebrated.  They then went on to essentially redefine the 'pop' song.

Col

• Upvote 2

The like is for the first paragraph Col. Never really a great Beatles fan though either.

Fly, one day we'll have a pint together in the Cavern.  You'll love it!  ;)

Col

Had a long weekend in Liverpool earlier in the year, but gave it a miss. I preferred the Stones, Who, Kinks, Yardbirds, Manfred Mann, Downliners Sect, Small Faces etc.

• Upvote 1

Fly, I liked all of those plus many, many more. They were all excellent bands.

But the Beatles were in a separate category.  Of all the 'Merseybeat' groups, the Beatles emerged as something different.  They ( well at least Lennon/McCartney/Harrison), wrote songs which will last for a very long time.  'In My Life', 'Yesterday'. 'Yes It Is', 'Here, There and Everywhere', 'Something','If I Fell', 'And I Love Her', etc., etc.  All terrific songs.  The Beatles also went on to create a new sort of popular music and image.  Yes, it all fell apart in the end.  In fact, the whole sixties based thing fell apart.. and not just for the Beatles..

But have a wander into the Cavern.  It's no secret that it isn't even the original Cavern.  It's a friendly place with a constant day in day out stream of visitors from all over the World.  Resident musicians play from 2:00 pm everyday and admission is free.  Evening shows may cost. Just take it for what it is.

In the vid below.  Tony Coburn on left as Paul Mc, Paul Jones as Harrison and Jimmy Coburn as Lennon.  a great, 'good time' night out. I've seen it a couple of times.  Tony Paul and Jimmy are friends. and genuinely good guys.

https://www.cavernclub.org/resident-bands/tony-coburn-3/

• Upvote 1

Actually Col, I preferred The Searchers, Big Three, and even The Merseybeats, but the Beatles forte was Lennon & McCartney's songwriting abilities. They definitely weren't the best musicians in the land. From that area, I liked The Hollies best. I know they were Manchester, but it's basically the same part of the country. 

• 2 weeks later...