I'm with Lizzie on the spelling. My left and right hand co-ordination is not what it used to be; consequently, when typing some letters they become mixed up.  My biggest problem is not that I can't spell but mainly that I don't proof read my posts properly before hitting 'return'. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Lizzie on the spelling. My left and right hand co-ordination is not what it used to be; consequently, when typing some letters they become mixed up.  My biggest problem is not that I can't sp

aw do'nt say tht lizzie, im' doin me best ......   onest    

I turned predictive text off.  I got sick of having to edit posts for things I didn't even mean to say.  My problem is not spelling, More often I don't hit the letters right or hard enough on the ipad keyboard so words have missing letters.  Never seem to catch them before I post, then have to go back and edit.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

It's not only crap spelling with me. I  type too quickly and often miss whole words out and make disjointed paragraphs. Good job people here can figure out worram onna bout

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Spellings not the problem, it's when you have to do joined up writing !  That's when things go wrong.

• Upvote 1

I see on the news, that the Americans are ceasing teaching kids joined up writing, as its not applicable in the modern world.

They are perusing the text way of writing /spelling. 

My God, as if things aren't bad enough already. We'll all soon be back to just grunting and nodding.

• Like 6

I received a letter the other day from a well known high st retailer with the opening words, "YAY Catfan..............................What's all that about ? what does YAY mean ?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I see on the news, that the Americans are ceasing teaching kids joined up writing, as its not applicable in the modern world.

They are perusing the text way of writing /spelling. 

My God, as if things aren't bad enough already. We'll all soon be back to just grunting and nodding.

That is correct, Fly.

I think they mostly communicate on their phones using emoticons anyway.

I see a more sinister agenda behind it and that is the dumbing down of whole populations.

Life rapidly becomes a series of pictures and ideas flashed on a tv or phone screen.

The ability to read slowly and thoughtfully about ideas and opinions is removed.  Pretty soon the individual becomes an automaton blindly following video dictates or if anything is written it is in large letters of few syllables.  The word OBEY! comes to mind.

Someone commented recently that us old geezers will be able to write in code.  If we write in cursive they won't be able to read it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Dumbing us down means we're more controllable !

• Like 1

I dnt knw wt u meen. Wots cursiv? izat lik swearin n stuf? or jus old peeps stuf? So wts wrng wi emoticons thn, egyptshuns did em years ago.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

YAY probably means the same as AYEUP which is equally nonsensical if you think about it..

• Like 2

On 'Neighbours'... yes iknow I'm probably the only person who watches it, the people always greet each other with 'Hey'

Easily researched on any etymological site, it originally means 'this' as in 'It's about yay big' (this big) and is not an acronym at all. It does seem however to have evolved into a colloquial form of greeting as in 'yay dude waasup'

• Upvote 1

Yay's been around for ages. I can remember it back as far as the '80s when I employed loads of students, Yay means yes and in it's more vociferous form was often accompanied by an arm pump or high five.

Yes, ( or yay, lol ). I notice kids often use it as a form of greeting these days, which I suppose is what catfan's letter was. Stuff gets quite hackneyed.

Has anyone noticed the latest...everyone seems to start a sentence with ...So....

• Like 1

I don't think it's wrong, it just looks wrong. I was always assured that I would suffer hell and damnation for all eternity if I began a sentence with AND or BUT. There is no rule against it I've found but still can't bring myself to do it, it simply looks wrong to me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1