A favourite hymn of mine starts with 'And'.     Come on, Loppy, you must know this one!

• Like 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Lizzie on the spelling. My left and right hand co-ordination is not what it used to be; consequently, when typing some letters they become mixed up.  My biggest problem is not that I can't sp

aw do'nt say tht lizzie, im' doin me best ......   onest    

1 hour ago, TBI said:

Has anyone noticed the latest...everyone seems to start a sentence with ...So....

Yes TBI, I’ve noticed that too.  Also, mainly footballers when being interviewed, post match ...... they start a sentence with ‘Absolutely ......’ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BK, I know it begins with 'and' but I really dislike that one as it's so inaccurate and waffly.  Think of another...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, plantfit said:

Ying and Yang ???

means male &female

There are five of them MargieH

Only ever heard the one that Beekay suggested, inaccurate it may be but it is a stirring piece of music especially when heard with Land of Hope and Glory at the Last Night of the Proms

Hey! is a common form of greeting here, As in, Hey, how ya doin'.  Bit like EYup,Duck. Many would think it bad English, but as y'all know its been common around Nottingham for longer than I've been around.

I remember as  a kid, Cursive text was called 'double writing' for some reason. Stated in junior school after printing in infant school.  Seems like we soon got the hang of it.

Never heard it referred to as cursive 'til I moved here.

• Upvote 1

Ayeup, I agree the music for that 'Jerusalem' song  is good but not the words...

YES that's the one, Loppy.   I chose that at my Baptism.  Trouble is, I still can't sing the words of one verse in particular without getting emotional...

• Like 1

Was told similar Brew, AND,SO,BUT and THEN, also a lot of continental sports men and women answer questions about their performance with "FOR SURE"

Rog

• Like 1

Good morning Members

BUT we do understand each other no matter how or what we write. AND talking about cursive writing , children here learn as soon as they recognise and can write the letters. SO its a strange way they learn. They start forming the letters on squared graph paper that way they have to form the letter within that square. To see a 6-7 yr old child's writing is a joy, it puts our generations writing to shame .

imsorryto take the mickey but  it has become the way we sometimes talk.

When I was at school the only thing I remember was about the word "AND" that you don't use after a full stop.

• Like 5

Surely Margie, Jerusalem would be a better National anthem than dirge we've got now. A lot of people think so. Me, I'm not bothered as am a confirmed Ewok.

PS. Sing us a few bars of Can it be, so we can get the feel of it.

11 hours ago, MargieH said:

Ayeup, I agree the music for that 'Jerusalem' song  is good but not the words...

What's wrong with the words? It's a fine poem by William Blake, alluding to the legend that Christ visited England as a child. I love the whole hymn and sing it regularly around the house!

My personal favourite is 'Once to every man and Nation/Comes the moment to decide' which could be seen as slightly topical at present!

The tune is Ebenezer, also known as Ton Y Botel. Ends on a striking tierce de Picardie (a major chord). It was a Manning School favourite but I've rarely heard it sung elsewhere. If you aren't familiar with the tune, Loppy, have a look. The words are also fascinating.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

My wife says the local WI don't sing it any more since the piano was sold.

I'm not a member of the Women's Institute. I have an aversion to institutions. As Groucho said, "Marriage is a wonderful institution but who wants to live in an institution?" :rolleyes: Don't make jam either.

• Like 1

I’m with you on that. I don’t belong to anything (other than my professional body who have just granted me free life membership and a certificate!). Nothing worse than having to go to meetings with a bunch of old people and listen to them talk about ailments.

37 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Did anyone have to learn ITALIGRAPH writing'?

We simply called it italic writing. It wasn't taught as such but the English teacher at Fairham had the best handwriting I've ever seen, he wrote in italics. The only formal writing style was Marion Richardson (mentioned on this site some time ago).

• Like 1

I'm familiar with And Can it Be and Ebenezer, I encountered them many times in the 80s, but with different words to Ebenezer, (we were Chapel) and others, Ellers, and the sailors' hymn tune Melita. Add to that St Clement, all stirring tunes. (One or two interesting cadences in Ebenezer too)

When, as a junior, I was sent off to chapel on Sundays I didn't much listen to the talking but the hymns fascinated me as did the wheezing clonking old pipe organ behind the pulpit, not even imagining that later I'd spend 25 years playing elsewhere for others to sing to during the 70s 80s 90s. It's a different slick hi tech world nowadays.

• Like 1