Yes I remembered when it didn't sound right but the post got posted. You're right Brew it was Italic, we had the special square nib too.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Lizzie on the spelling. My left and right hand co-ordination is not what it used to be; consequently, when typing some letters they become mixed up.  My biggest problem is not that I can't sp

aw do'nt say tht lizzie, im' doin me best ......   onest    

I must admit that as a relative newcomer to the world of hymnody, I'm not too familiar with the practice of tune naming.  There is no doubt that Jerusalem is a grand old piece of music. I always enjoy it when played at the Proms.  The theology of hymns is another matter.  A few of them are dodgy, but I won't go there out of respect for the politics/religious position on the site.

I had always thought that Cursive / Italics / double writing was essentially the same thing.

12 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I had always thought that Cursive / Italics / double writing was essentially the same thing.

Cursive, double and joined up are the same but they are not 'styles' in the same way Italics and copper plate are

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brew said:

The only formal writing style was Marion Richardson (mentioned on this site some time ago).

That was the style of "joined up writing" which I was taught at junior school. Never heard of it again since those days.

I've always been able to write fluently in several handwriting styles - I used to copy signatures as a party trick... to do it I had to almost feel that I was that person as I did it.  I could do all my family members' styles with no problem, also my close friends.

I've just written out some 'lines' and taken a photo.  Can you work out which one I use the most these days?

IMG-4948.jpg

• Like 2

The first is my guess at your natural style. The second I would expect to see from a left hander, you're not. Three and five are close to Marion Richardson so are possibles, four is Gothic and not a 'natrual' style and finally the spacing of the last line is so different I doubt it.   ;)

Brew, so you think 1 is my usual style and 3 and 5 are possibles....   :secret:

Any  more guesses from anyone?

The words in Blakes poem Jerusalem merely ponder on whether it was possible Jesus accompanied his uncle Joseph of Aramathea, a tin merchant, , on a visit to this country.I personally can not listen to a rendition of the words and music without a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I know we are going through turbulent times at the moment but still believe this is the best country in the world to live and consider my self privileged to have been born here. Always remember to have been born British is to already have won first prize in the lottery of life. 

• Like 2

The style I usually do is number 3 but occasionally I choose number 1 ... don't know why .

The last one is how my mum used to write before her writing got more shaky and spidery as she got older, so I'm pleased at least one person thought it was mine.  The more I'm like my little mum, the happier I'll be!

I can do fluent mirror writing, too, and I'm not bad writing with my left hand either... how did you know I wasn't left handed, Brew?   I'm curious...

I was looking recently at some writing I did at school when I as about 5 or 6 and the teacher had put a cross on the tail of a 'g' because it was too long apparently.    I think it was Phil's and my favourite teacher ....NOT

Just now, Geoffrey Dennis said:

The words in Blakes poem Jerusalem merely ponder on whether it was possible Jesus accompanied his uncle Joseph of Aramathea, a tin merchant, , on a visit to this country.I personally can not listen to a rendition of the words and music without a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I know we are going through turbulent times at the moment but still believe this is the best country in the world to live and consider my self privileged to have been born here. Always remember to have been born British is to already have won first prize in the lottery of life. 

Just read your post, Geoffrey.  I like your sentiments about Britain and agree with you about its being a good country  to have been born into.   

I just think it's too fanciful a story about Jesus coming to Britain but, as I said before, I do like the music

• Like 1

Come on then Margie, spill the beans. Which is your bestest handwriting ??

I got it right then:bravo:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Yes I remembered when it didn't sound right but the post got posted. You're right Brew it was Italic, we had the special square nib too.

My Osmeroid ‘italic’ pen was my pride and joy towards the end of Junior School, it took a bit of practice though, ink all over my fingers ......

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, MargieH said:

how did you know I wasn't left handed, Brew?

Remember a short demo of semaphore ...? you used your dominant hand, your right..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nonnaB said:

My theory didn't work then. Now not telling you what is was ...so there.:P

Meany...

Sorry but meany isn't a word I recognise. !!!!. Oh alright seeing as I know you. 

The first 3 are very similar , the 4th was out of the question and I thought you would leave your normal signature til last. The first 3 all had long tales on the G and thought it was a copy of previous ones. The final one was just a guess but in any case I was wrong.

• Like 1