Favourite clips from films, adverts, soaps.

I've just watched it, thinking it would be a Friday-early-evening snoozie, but I stayed awake all the time! I really enjoyed it.... thank you, Chulla. It was strange as sometimes it seemed she was in HIS time, and sometimes like in the 'confirmation' scene and at the end, he was in HER time. Reminded me of the film, 'The Time Traveller's Wife" or rather the opposite way round.... I think the latter pinched ideas from this old film!! Anyway, whatever..... IT WAS GOOD. Thanks again

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do like this ad for Maltesers This is Beattie Edmondson daughter of Ade Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders. http://www.davidreviews.tv/Work/Maltesers_Leaving/

carnie and margie, here's one for you both. A wonderful fantasy romance film starring the lovely Jennifer Jones. The music is nearly all Dubussy. creating a mistiness to the story. Note the use of col

I have posted a scene from the Bette Davis picture Dark Victory before (not that anyone took any notice). I make no apology for posting another. This scene displays her superb acting skills, without h

Good point re. The relativity of time, Margie. Was he shifting to her time or she shifting to his? Questions are endless.

Edited to add. It is interesting to watch a film together even though in different time zones. Sort of like a book discussion group. If you come across another like that, Chulla, let us know.

Another of my favourite films is Joseph Losey's The Go-between from 1970, starring Alan Bates who was always one of my favourite actors and the young Dominic Guard.

L P Hartley's book of the same name is a good read and whilst I think it helps to have read the book before watching the film, it is still a very enjoyable and evocative portrayal of the period prior to the First World War. Not only that, it has possibly one of my favourite film scores of all time.

• Upvote 1

The screenplay of The Go-between was written by Harold Pinter and captures perfectly the ambiguities in the book where no one is quite sure who is aware of what is going on between whom.

The film features an amazing performance by a very young Dominic Guard who is in almost every scene and it must have been a daunting undertaking for such a young actor to have so heavy a role in one of his first films.

It's fascinating to watch the film and compare it with the narrative of the book and since I tend to be rather like Loppylugs, in that I have a tendency to over analyse anything and everything, it is difficult to decide whether people are suspicious of what is going on between Marian and Farmer Burgess or whether it is just your own imagination.

Either way, Hartley was very much criticized for including in his book an epilogue in which the character of Leo went back to the scene of his early teenage years when his life was ruined forever by the actions of the adults who used him as a messenger and because he blamed himself for the tragedies which each of them suffered.

I think the film has an amazingly strong cast with the exception of the actress Julie Christie who,for me, doesn't really bring to life the Marian of the novel because she simply doesn't have the depth of character.

One of my all time favourites!

• Upvote 1

Here's another fantasy film, but this time a more modern one. I won't give anything away, but it is a fantasy film.

• Upvote 1

Looks like you've just grabbed another evening of mine, Chulla. :-). I'll have a look at it later.

Did a little research on the Portrait of Jennie, movie. Apparently it did not do too well at the box office. Too bad, folks missed a good one.

#117. In the years just after the end of WW2, the American public were a little wary of films that depicted dead people in the living world, especially those people who had lost family members in the war. It was for that reason that It's a Wonderful Life was almost a flop on its release.

There are some wonderful films that I could recommend, but sadly, they are not easily available on YouTube, but I will keep looking for those that are. Sole Survivor is a ghost story based on an actual incident in WW2 - the actual aircraft concerned was discovered years later and now resides in a compound in Libya. It is a four-engines B-24 Liberator, not a twin-engined B-25 Mitchell as in the film.

Hi Chulla

Watched 'The French Lieutanants Woman' on You Tube the other night, a very clever film version of the original book, hadn't seen it for years but still found it very moving, have stood on the end of the Mole at Lyme during a storm with a girlfriend with red hair, though I wouldn't consider her as Pre Raphaelite, well, maybe,in a contemporary sense, and actually camped out in the 'Undercliffe' with a bunch of scouts, a very strange place to be in.

A really great film.

I remember "Whistle down the Wind". I love how children sometimes misunderstand something and turn it into something else. I also seem to remember a little boy in a classroom giving the answer "Cup Final" whenever a question was asked. Don't know why that's stuck in my mind..

Finally managed to get a couple of hours to misen, so I am going to watch one of the films. Sole Survivor just wins over Portrait of Jeanie for tonight. Feet up, Laptop on, and relax.

Sorry edited to read Jennie!

• Upvote 2

Just finished watching Sole Survivor Chulla. Really enjoyed it, but I got a bit confused at the end. Did he find the last one?

Tomorrow I will watch Portrait of Jennie. Thank you Chulla. Really enjoy your choice of Fantasy films

PS I had to rewind a few times because of interruptions from my better half, so it took a bit longer to watch it all lol.!

I've just watched it carni and I'm confused too, for the same reason as you... I actually thought the film was strange and the acting was not that believable. Not as good as the other film, I thought

It is well over twenty years since I saw the film, but just looking at the ending I get the impression that the final body was never found and his spirit, therefore, was destined to an eternity of loneliness. I only put it on the thread because it was a fantasy film available complete on YouTube. Actually, it was a film made for TV. Portrait of Jennie is a far superior film.

• Upvote 1

At first I thought the Sole Survivor was the General, who jumped and lived, but in the end I came to the same conclusion, that the one body was never found for the last spirit to rest. Anyway, it was a fantasy and I enjoyed it.

Carni, I think the SOLE survivor was the navigator who jumped and lived, and the SOUL survivor was the last ghost, but I'm not sure why his body wasn't found - was it because he'd bailed out as well before the crash and walked around in the desert until he died? If this is the case, why was he with the other ghosts? I think I'm going to have to watch it again...

• Upvote 1

Re 'Sole Survivor' - this tells you all about the incident it was based on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

I remember reading about it some years before the film was made, and being fascinated by the story of how they thought they were flying over the sea when in fact they were over the desert.

• Upvote 2