Favourite clips from films, adverts, soaps.

Mervyn Johns of Dead of Night fame, if I'm not wrong and his daughter Glynis.

Saw this on TV years ago. Dead of Night is also still very creepy. I also recall House of Mystery with a young Ronald Hines and Nanette Newman. Interesting electrical concepts!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do like this ad for Maltesers This is Beattie Edmondson daughter of Ade Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders. http://www.davidreviews.tv/Work/Maltesers_Leaving/

carnie and margie, here's one for you both. A wonderful fantasy romance film starring the lovely Jennifer Jones. The music is nearly all Dubussy. creating a mistiness to the story. Note the use of col

I have posted a scene from the Bette Davis picture Dark Victory before (not that anyone took any notice). I make no apology for posting another. This scene displays her superb acting skills, without h

I remember my mam taking me to the Ritz when I was probably just 6 or 7. She went to a series of films that seemed focused on the wierd. Wish I could remember what they were so I could search on YT.

The idea seemed to revolve around ghosts witches etc. I remember one scene that involved a series of ghosts circling around an old tree in a place that looked like Newstead Abbey. Scared me socks off it did. :-). Another was about the number nine being associated with death. Creepy stuff. Not good just before bedtime. Did anyone of you see any of these?

Not really interested in seeing them all again. Just curious.

• Upvote 1

Nah, Jill. Bailey is just a big soft Spanador, happy chasing a ball. Jake is the hound. He's a hunter killer. As a Squirrel found out not too long ago. I didn't even tell Mrs. loppy. Her favorite line is, "if he gets the taste of blood he'll get mean." He already is mean. When he chases a Squirrel or rabbit he is not doing it just for exercise.:-)

• 1 month later...

carnie, and any anybody else who likes a good film, when its raining and you have nothing better to do, have a look at this film. From the Selznick studio it has a terrific cast, and a great score by Max Steiner. Very long at 2 3/4 hours but ends nicely with a Christmassy tug of the heart strings.

Did anyone watch my last film posting - the creepy murder mystery The Spiral Staircase? Just click on its start and the music will set the scene for you.

I noticed that there is an Ethel Barrymore in The Spiral Staircase and Lionel Barrymore In Since You Went  Away, just wondered if they were related. You are right Chulla there is a brilliant cast. I have got both films lined up on my Laptop, ready to be viewed at the first opportunity. 

They certainly are related, carni. There were three of them, Lionel, who was 'Mr Nasty' in It's a Wonderful Life, Ethel who you saw as the art dealer in Portrait of Jenny, and John. The latter was a big name in silent pictures. The Barrymores  were the greatest name in American acting at one time. 

• Upvote 1

Mary Kate Danaher: ' Could you use a little water in your whiskey? '

Michaleen Flynn: ' When I drinks whiskey, I drinks whiskey; and when I drinks water, I drinks water '....

' Red Will Danaher ': ' He'll regret it to his dying day, if ever he lives that long! '....

From one of my all time favourite films ' The Quiet Man '...

• Upvote 1

Actress Olivia de Havilland recently celebrated her 100th birthday - one of the few remaining pre-war Hollywood people still alive. In 1949 she received the Oscar for her role in The Heiress. Sadly, the whole film is not on YouTube, but the above clip will illustrate the high quality of the acting in it. In this clip it is by Ralph Richards;  an absolutely superb performance. Here he has his suspicions that  Montgomery Clift is a no-good who wants to marry his daughter so that he can eventually get his hands on her father's fortune. He can see right through the suitor. But can he? Eventually the father dies and his daughter is free of the restrictions. I won't spoil the ending but it is a cracker. Watch out for it if it is ever on TV, or hire it to watch.

If you let the ending run on there is another Olivia de Havilland film well worth a watch. In the early pre-war period there were a number of films dealing with psychology - Hitchcock's Spellbound is the most famous.  This one, The Dark Mirror, is also good. De Havilland played the roles of twin sisters - but which one is implicated in a murder. Can the psychologist read the tealeaves for the answer?

• Upvote 1

Was she not the sister of Joan Fontaine, who played the nameless second Mrs De Winter in Hitchcock's Rebecca?

I watched that film recently and reminded myself that the real star of that film was Judith Anderson as the highly sinister and disturbed Mrs Danvers. Brilliant actress!

Yes she was Jill. And what you say about Judith Anderson is very true. You can see why Hollywood grabbed the good English acting stock - some pretty good Irish actors/actresses also. The whole film is on YouTube. That scene where Fontaine wanders into Rebecca's bedroom and Danvers shows her her late mistresses delicate and exquisite belongings is superb. Sigh! they don't make them like that nowadays.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Was she not the sister of Joan Fontaine, who played the nameless second Mrs De Winter in Hitchcock's Rebecca?

That's correct. By all accounts the two sisters were noted for what was described as a feuding rivalry, however it when Joan Fontaine was up for the part of Melanie in 'Gone With the Wind' she said 'Why don't you try my sister Olivia?'.

What was said about Joan Fontaine was that she projected a quality of making everyone in the audience want to protect her. 

Judith Anderson, by the way, was Australian, and I think the accent comes through at times in 'Rebecca'.

I was surprised to discover that Judith Anderson was actually Australian! You wouldn't know from listening to her voice.

I've seen several other versions of du Maurier's book, adapted for tv, including one with Diana Rigg as Danvers. Rigg is an excellent actress but couldn't even begin to approach Anderson in that role.

Another Australian actress whose voice betrays no trace of her origins was Coral Browne. She appears as herself in the tv adaptation of Alan Bennett's An Englishman Abroad, starring one of my favourite actors, Alan Bates. I watch it frequently as it's so well acted and amusing.

It is, supposedly based on Browne's own experience of meeting Guy Burgess in Moscow in 1958 during a performance of Shakespeare's Hamlet by what was then the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre, later to become the Royal Shakespeare Company. How much of what Coral Browne told Alan Bennett is actually true seems to be debatable as it seems the person Burgess really wanted to make contact with backstage was Michael Redgrave, a fellow Marxist sympathiser who was also bisexual and who had been at Cambridge University at the same time as Guy Burgess.

Whatever the truth behind the story, it is a television adaptation of a play which is well worth watching if only for the bumbling and humorous performance of the incomparable Alan Bates.

Michael Redgrave, bisexual or not, a great actor. In the great era of British film-making there were some performances that stood out like chapel hat-pegs for their quality. One of these, in my opinion, was Redgrave's in The Browning Version, from Terence Rattigan's stage play. Super film, with Jean Kent as his untrustworthy wife.

One I've always liked was The List of Adrian Messenger. Brilliant !

Yes Jill, some great talent there. Several TOP stars. 

I always liked George C Scott who was reputed to be a great Anglophile. He and his final wife, the actress Trish van der Vere, reportedly lived in separate houses in separate states and met up occasionally. She liked the pace of life in New York and he preferred the slower lifestyle of New England.

I always admired him for refusing to acknowledge or attend the Oscars ceremony, denouncing it as a cattle market for actors. Sensible chap. Refused to take either himself or life too seriously!

• Upvote 1

Yes must say I liked George C Scott,........great face.......and loved his portrail of General Patton,......and just read up on him on 'wickie' ........''separate states and met up occasionally''..........obviously found the right partner too.......good on him and her.

• Upvote 1

I think good old George tried several wives before he found one he could live with, at a distance! My partner and I live in separate houses in separate villages, each with our own cats! We find it works well. Stops me throttling him! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Think that's great Jill,......if any of my sons eventually do buy a place in Spain (they keep on about it) i'm definatly spending the Winters there and the wife agrees shes not coming,except for a couple of weeks............

• Upvote 1