Favourite clips from films, adverts, soaps.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do like this ad for Maltesers This is Beattie Edmondson daughter of Ade Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders. http://www.davidreviews.tv/Work/Maltesers_Leaving/

carnie and margie, here's one for you both. A wonderful fantasy romance film starring the lovely Jennifer Jones. The music is nearly all Dubussy. creating a mistiness to the story. Note the use of col

I have posted a scene from the Bette Davis picture Dark Victory before (not that anyone took any notice). I make no apology for posting another. This scene displays her superb acting skills, without h

No,but I've been offered a couple of little jobs I quite fancy.......so with me pensions and wages I could live well and banter all day and night........lol.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of winters in Spain [we were, weren't we?] I was just looking through a Times newspaper for Sept 21, 1968. Someone bought it for us for our 25th wedding anniversary. There is an ad for Cosmos, if you went to Spain for 4 weeks in the winter with them, it was 36 pounds all in, including the airfare!

That's right Katy,i was saying on another thread I had 3 or 4 days in Majorca about the same time for £40 all-in..........and just to keep it in topic 'El Cid' was filmed in Spain......and I loved that bit when after hes dead El-Cid alias Charlton Heston rides out to face the Moors.............

I can remember seeing this film in 1961, I was 15......

• 2 weeks later...

Cant say this is my favourite ad but  -  does anyone else find the Money Supermarket ad with the men in tight denim shorts and high heels rather creepy.   The one at the end with braces and glasses !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Empire of the Sun, a young Christian Bale, the attack on the Japanese airfield.

'Horsepower, P51, Cadillac of the skies, I can taste the oil and cordite in my mouth.........etc

What a scene, the P51 pilot doing the wing waggling slow flypast was the late lamented Ray Hannah of Duxford fame, Plantfit will know who I mean.

Haven't been on this thread for a while.

I was poking around old British movies on YT last night.  Came across an oldie from 1953 called. 'Cosh Boys'. Lovely title!  Actually it turned out better than I expected.  Only an hour and fifteen minutes long.  I loved the ending but I won't spoil it for you in case you decide to watch it.

• 8 months later...

Just looked at this thread again,...........after watching one of the few adverts i enjoy...........for some sort of chocolate.........Audrey Hepburn look-alike somewhere in Italy i presume,....where she removes a Bus drivers hat............to the tune of 'Moon River'    ah lovely..........

Edit.........carnie...........duet please..................wider than a mile'...............

Apparently, one of the film's producers wanted to cut Hepburn's rendition of Moon River from the film Breakfast at Tiffany's! Fortunately, he was overruled.

Hepburn is one of my icons! :rolleyes:

Thought she was 'stunningly beautiful'..........first remember seeing her in 'Roman Holiday' with Gregory Peck..........Mam and Dad took me to the Mechanics in town must have been mid 50s...............died far too young..........

Best bits from films that I like---

1/ Glen Miller story when his wife is told that their has been a plane crash, she puts on the radio and it play "little brown jug" her face is a joy to see.

2/ Love Story when the two young people swim in the nude together after being ship wrecked on a desert island.

3/ "Mercy"  when she hits his feet with a sledge hammer.

4/ The Miracle Worker. When she teachers the girl who is deaf dumb and blind how to behave.

5/ Brave heart when they take out his heart and he shouts "Freedom"

6/ When Julie Walters teachers Billy Elliot to dance.

7/ latest advert  the one with the little girl feeding the birds (she gets so excited) its the bank add.

You all know me by now - I'm a sentimental old sod. Never more so than when I see romance intelligently depicted in a good film. Believe it or not (I must be the only person in the world with this opinion), my favourite Spielberg film is his 1989 release Always. It is a remake of an old wartime Hollywood film, and for once, a remake that is very good - very good indeed.

In the film Richard Dreyfuss is a fire-fighting pilot who dies when his aircraft crashes. He come back to earth as a ghost to see that his girl, Holly Hunter, gets over her loss and steers her through it. But, of course she cannot see him and is not aware of his presence. This scene is very touching, where she is remembering him, and he being achingly unable to express his feeling for her.  And what fitting music - the Platters' Smoke gets in Your Eyes. No swearing, no bedroom scenes, just superb direction.

RE #201. Mary, I think the film is Misery, not Mercy. ... Brilliant though!

11 hours ago, FLY2 said:

RE #201. Mary, I think the film is Misery, not Mercy. ... Brilliant though!

Thanks FLY2

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted a scene from the Bette Davis picture Dark Victory before (not that anyone took any notice). I make no apology for posting another. This scene displays her superb acting skills, without having hardly anything to say. 

She is dying from a brain tumour, but she does not know it. Her doctor, who she is in love with, has kept it from her. She visits his office, all chirpy and chipper, having been told that her condition is not bad. He is not in the office so she tidies up his desk and in doing so sees the doctor's file on her case. 

The expression of joy on her face slowly drains into a reality of what her prognosis is. Yes, she was directed to play the scene that way,  but there is something special about her performance, a total empathy with the character and how she would have felt had it really been her. She had been lied to, even betrayed, and it has hurt. Top class acting that made Bette Davis the greatest screen actress.

This was her favourite film, and it is my favourite one of her.

• Upvote 3

My favourite film  musical has always been South Pacific. No doubt in my mind it has the finest selection of songs. There was some dissent when it was released in that colour filters had been extensively used, as in this clip, but  I thought some of the scenes benefitted from this treatment, often with its softened edges.

Notice how it enhances the close-up of the lovely France Nuyen.

Open up to full screen.

• Upvote 1