Favourite clips from films, adverts, soaps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do like this ad for Maltesers This is Beattie Edmondson daughter of Ade Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders. http://www.davidreviews.tv/Work/Maltesers_Leaving/

carnie and margie, here's one for you both. A wonderful fantasy romance film starring the lovely Jennifer Jones. The music is nearly all Dubussy. creating a mistiness to the story. Note the use of col

I have posted a scene from the Bette Davis picture Dark Victory before (not that anyone took any notice). I make no apology for posting another. This scene displays her superb acting skills, without h

In 1922, the English playwright Sir Arthur Wing Pinero produced his play The Enchanted Cottage. It told the story of a young couple who fall in love. She was a homely plain-Jane, and he was back from the First World War facially disfigured and wanting to end his life. The play was well-received because it was considered that it gave hope of a purposeful life to ex-soldiers in spite of their wartime injuries. The young woman is friendly with a lady who has a cottage (played by Mildred Natwick - if you think you have seen her before she was in The Quiet Man). The young woman is played by the lovely Dorothy McGuire, and the man by Robert Young. The supporting role is acted by Herbert Marshall, who plays a blind pianist, composing a lovely romantic piano concerto (the film's composer is Roy Webb).

Despite everyone seeing them as they really are, they see each other as being perfect - she radiant and beautiful to him, and he handsome as he originally was, to her. It cannot last, of course, and the scene below is from near the end when they are told the truth; a heart-tugging scene where the lady tells them that it is the enchantment of the old cottage gives lovers that has made them happy.

If you get a chance to see it then do. You won't regret it. This is not a spoiler, you are aware of the enchantment throughout the film.

• Upvote 2

Yes Trev, we can consider ourselves romantically blessed; which is more than you can say about the others on this forum. lol. To some of them a great film is someone getting their head blown off with a Magnum 45!

• Upvote 1

Chulla, please edit your post to 'SOME of the others on this forum' ! I like some of those old films, although rarely get chance to watch them. Also, when I do settle down to watch old films on the TV, I often drop asleep as many of them do tend to be a bit slow-moving, unlike present day films where you have to concentrate to keep up with who's who, what's going on and why! But I DO like older films...

Gran Torino,...........the scene in the Barber shop,Clint Eastwood and the Polish barber trading friendly insults...........just like mine in Basford........

I think the film 'Wish you were here'is great,the part where Tom Bell is in the restaurant where Emily Lloyd is a waitress is so funny.Tom asks for cake and she goes through a whole list of cakes and says ' up your bum' so quickly it slips in among the cakes.

OK Margie, but let us know by ticking the Like box. I appear to be the only member who posts about the old films. Same goes for the different musical pieces I post. I try to encourage other like-minded members to do same, but no-one responds.

I have been looking for The Enchanted Cottage (The full version) on You Tube Chulla; but I can't find it, only trailers. Have you by any chance seen the full film on You Tube.

carni, I looked as well. There is a full version advertised, but it looks like you might have to subscribe in some way, so I did not pursue it. I have it at home on a tape. There is a chap on Arnold market who sells DVDs of old films. He can usually get them for you for a fiver. I will ask him (I would sooner have it on disc than tape). Meanwhile, get yourself to see Florence Foster Jenkins. You'll love it - no sex, bad language or violence, and mostly English actors. I have to say, that Hugh Grant was very good - played his part to perfection.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Chulla, I saw that site and I too was reluctant to subscribe. I'm glad you and Mrs Chulla enjoyed the film, and I will see if I can persuade Chris to go to the cinema. I think the last time we went to the cinema was to see Mama Mia or to take our G-daughter to see one of the animated Ice Age films in 3D., both about 6/8 yrs ago.

I have been looking for The Enchanted Cottage (The full version) on You Tube Chulla; but I can't find it, only trailers. Have you by any chance seen the full film on You Tube.

It is on "Putlocker" just checked,I have no problem with this site and watch new movies on it all the time think you need an ad block and virus protection but check it out there are a few downloads on the site i normally keep to the main version.P.S it starts with an ad for a Tony Curtis film before going onto the B/W film....

• Upvote 2

Just checked Putlocker for the film. It is there but had a problem. After getting rid of the junk it would not download until I installed Adobe Flash reader. Doing this brought a malware warning from AVG, my virus protector, so I came out and left it. Be safe, carni, and leave it.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Trevor and Chulla, I don't understand all the ins and outs of computer safety so I will steer clear until I go home from my holiday and get sonny boy to check it out for me.

• 1 month later...

carnie and margie, here's one for you both. A wonderful fantasy romance film starring the lovely Jennifer Jones. The music is nearly all Dubussy. creating a mistiness to the story. Note the use of colour tinting and technicolor near the end. On its initial release, in selected cinemas, the storm scene was projected on to a double-width screen. Just super all round.

• Upvote 3

Looks like my kind of film, Chulla. I like to watch them on a Saturday afternoon when all my housework's done and the weather's too bad to do any gardening. I call them Saturday snoozies! I sometimes nod off to sleep and then have to rewind the film to the part when I dropped off....

• Upvote 2

One of my favourite films is The Apartment with the wonderful Jack Lemmon, directed by Billy Wilder. I love the Christmas Eve scene where Lemmon's character gets drunk in a bar and meets the lonely Margi McDougall who has a voice like a brillo pad. The comic timing of the dialogue in this scene and the scene following where he takes her back to his apartment never fails to make me laugh.

The film was considered very risque at the time, dealing as it did with the rather taboo subjects of marital infidelity, suicide attempts and blackmail but I still find it very watchable.

• Upvote 2

Thank you Chulla. That wrote off my whole evening. Lol

Fascinating movie. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Sixty eight years old and not a cuss word or bedroom scene in the whole thing. Don't know how they ever got folks to watch it. :-)

It raised some interesting metaphysical questions. What do you think the writer / producer was trying to convey, apart from the love relationship?

Seems like the nature of time and eternity were in view. The girl was not supposed to be a ghost, she had a physical presence, but she did seem able to appear and disappear at will. Why did she seem to grow older so fast? Where was she between her appearances to the artist? Notice she was not aware of the new Radio City building in NY.

No one ever saw her but the artist, yet he had the scarf.

Interesting scene when the nun said she had been dead ten years, but he had seen her three months before. Are parallel universes in view here? It left me with a lot of interesting questions.

Tragic scene where he lost her at the lighthouse. Where should it have gone from there? At the time I thought he would die too. I was surprised he survived the storm.

Not looking for a religious debate. We can keep it light. Just a review of an interesting movie.

What'd ya'll think?

• Upvote 1

Loppy, in the world of fantasy I suppose you can get away with anything, especially if it is portrayed in something of a believable manner. I suppose, also, if he had died in the storm he would have spent an eternity with her. The appearance of the scarf was the clincher for those who might have thought that he was dreaming it all. It doesn't really matter, it was good to watch, and it at least made you think.

It pleases me that you enjoyed it. I hope that carni and Margie will.

• Upvote 1