My nan, Doris, was the daughter of John and Elizabeth (nee Wood) Kerry. John was associated with the Kerrys of poultry dealer/greengrocer fame, living for a time at least on Carlton Road.

Sadly my nan passed away many years ago, and it’s only in the last 12 months that I’ve started to look into her family, particularly her three brothers - all killed in action during WW2.

Richard Kerry (born 1918) married Dorothy Barnett 15 March 1941. He was in the RAF and died 18 August 1942 when his aircraft was shot down.

John Kerry (born 1907) married Gladys Chapman(?), probably in 1931. He too was in the RAF and died 27 January 1944 when his aircraft crashed.

Joseph Kerry (born 1916) married Doris Pearson(?), probably in 1937. He was killed serving with the Royal Artillery in Italy 8 December 1944.

A long shot, obviously, but I’d be interested to discover any relatives of the three brothers who might still be out there. I know that John and Gladys had children (though I don’t know their names), but I’m not sure about Richard/Dorothy or Joseph/Doris.

Cheers

Bob

Many thanks for all the quick replies.

If Martin Kerry is 'Trooper' Kerry, then it is quite possible that we are related back to his great-grandparents. I don't know if he's still active on this site, but it would be good to hear from him if he is.

It appears that a branch of the Kerrys have been into poultry/greengrocery since at least the early 1900s. I believe my nan's dad - John Kerry - had a greengrocers on Hartley Road, probably in the 1940s and into the 1950s.

A bit of a random search but I can find several Kerrys in that line of business in the early 1900s - but obviously I don't know if they are connected to your people.

1910 - Arthur Kerry, Fishmonger and Greengrocer on Curzon Street, St Anns

1910 - Richard Kerry, Poultry Dealer, Carlton Road, Sneinton

1916 - Richard Kerry, Fishmonger & Fruiterer, Carlton Road (probably the same as previous).

• Upvote 1

These are possible births from a Kerry / Chapman marriage in Nottingham

Births Dec 1931 Kerry Winifred I

Births Sep 1937 Kerry Terence M

Births Jun 1942 Kerry Valerie

Births Mar 1944 Kerry Sandra E

There is a marriage in Malta of a Terence M. Kerry to a Maria Scicluna in 1960 . Just having a quick look there appear to be a number of Scicluna-Kerrys (double barrelled name) in the Notts Lincs Derbys area that

could be connected including a couple on Facebook .

It would appear that Terence M Kerry , possible son of John Kerry and Gladys Chapman , changed his surname by deed poll in 1974 to Scicluna-Kerry.

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton - I'm currently working on the assumption that this Richard Kerry (who had at least eight kids, one of whom was Arthur) is my nan's grandfather. I know when she was young, her own father had a house on Carlton Road.

DAVIDW - That certainly gives me something to work on. It would be good to find a descendant of John Kerry as I'm currently unearthing evidence to show that his plane crashed some 30 miles from the location given in the current texts.

Once again, thank you.

There's this article from 1945 about a Sarah Kerry aged 81 who had run a fruit stall for 50 years and lived at Thorneywood . Must all be connected ? She had 9 kids .

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5629/20526466814_9818b0c5f2_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you have access to the Evening Post archives worth having a look at the front page of 24th March 1945 .

It shows a 50 year old photo of the Kerrys on their poultry stall in tbe Market Sq. Unfortunately not clear enough for me to bother doing a screen grab but may be of interest to you . The photo was used in a picture quiz.

• 1 month later...

Robert, your great granddad John was my great uncle, and my uncle Les Kerry is the cousin of Dick, Joe & John and one of the last of the cousins still with us. I do communicate with Terry Scicluna Kerry & his son Raymond has the Travellers Rest at Kilburn Derbyshire. all the Kerry's are related. If you PM me I will send you more details.

Janet W is right we did live in Bakersfield/Sneinton/Carlton area, I lived on Dovedale and I think Janet used to babysit for me & my brother!!

• Upvote 1