Nottingham Quiz x 6

1) A person of some authority….born 1893, member of the ‘Black ‘n Tans’, pictured giving a Nazi salute in 1936, retired in 1960 and died in Devon 8 years later.

2) Son of an Essex solicitor, first shop on Beastmarket Hill, died at the age of 45 - before his business had reached its zenith.

3) What was officially opened on 25th July 1871?

4) Upon which inclined street was the very non-PC “Cripples Guild” sited?

5) Member of the WE Gladstone cabinet who lived in the Park and had a school named after him.

6) Born Beeston 1946…first shop in Byard Lane…

Cheers

Robt P.

:mouse: Please sir i know question number six-Paul Smith-Fashion Designer-Tattershall Drive Beeston..just down the road from me..

paulsmith.jpg

Mr BiP: 6) House correct

Ms Tutanic: 4) 99% correct....Park Row.

3) Right first time....

Just 1,2 & 5 remain...any takers?

Closing date: 15/08/06....

Cheers

Robt P.

:victory: Ooo Ooo Why i missed that i don't know, answer to number two John player---worked for him 35years...sade or what?.johnplayer.jpg

It would......well done !clapping!

"...Born in 1893, the splendidly named Athelstan Popkess became the youngest Chief Constable ever at the age of 37. His appointment was not without controversy; he had been a member of the "Black and Tans" and was photographed giving the Nazi salute in a Stuttgart boxing ring in 1936. But he was a visionary policeman. He founded the first forensic laboratory in the country, was the first to introduce police dogs and an advanced driving school. He conceived the idea of traffic wardens, and was the first to exploit wirelesses in the "Uniform Cruisers" of the Mechanised Division which grew to a force of 39 vehicles and 70 officers travelling in white Standard Ensigns and astride white Triumph Thunderbirds. He lived for many years at 35 Newcastle Drive from where he observed and then prohibited boys using Tattershall Drive as a sledge run. He led the Nottingham force until 1960 and died at the age of 75 in Torquay..."

Cheers

Robt P.

post-29-1145813309_thumb.jpg

!rulez! Just question five to go? that reminds me i too have got to go Byeeeeeeeeee. !hand!

• 9 years later...
  • 4 years later...