• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across them on uSwitch - and even if you live out of the city they are much cheaper. They now supply me with electricity and gas in Newcastle upon Tyne and are much cheaper than the big operators!

So how does this all work? I lived in Nottingham in the days of the electricity board. It was all pretty straightforward. Sign up, get the meter installed in a new house, and pay the bill each month. Power comes from the same power stations so how is it all divided up and charged for? Presumably on a competitive basis?

Here it is very like the old days in Nottingham. Sign up with Georgia power and complain about the bill each month.

I realize the above question could take pages to explain in detail. Just looking for a simple answer a dog could understand. :cheers:

Thanks, Catfan. That was the doggy simple answer I wanted.

Presumably the energy companies are then free to resell at whatever prices and conditions they see fit? It would just seem like a nightmare to keep track of who owes what to whom.

I would also assume that the generating industry is overseen by government as they all share the national grid.

Yes overseen alright, but not for the benefit of consumers !

Shareholders rule !

When the wholesale price rises then the consumer pays more straight away. When the wholesale price falls then the energy companies drag their feet !

Despite the vagaries of the deregulated market, switching to Robin Hood has saved me £70 per month, prices fixed for a year and no penalty for switching again at any time.

• 1 year later...

Nottm City Council's Robin Hood Energy Scheme has been losing a lot of money for a long time.

Local councils should do what they are employed to do that is run council services. Remember the £Ms lost in the Icelandic banks fiasco.? The council's intentions may sound good on paper but in the grand scheme of things they don't have a clue in running a successful business, wait until the true cost or losses the tram is responsible for.

NCC predicted 50k new customers signing up each month, they have hardly done this in a year, the idea was lots of customers on a small profit margin, hasn't worked. !

Anything this council get involved in I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

https://onthewight.com/research-into-local-energy-companies-raises-more-questions-for-council-to-consider/

• 3 years later...

I seem to remember this on another thread and was it was predicted to crash and burn.  One of our memebers said we were being very unfair to the council. The tram and the district heating also came in for some stick if memory serves.

I sometimes wonder who actually runs councils, councillors or the corporate executives.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, catfan said:

Why do you think Jon Collins & 18 councillors stepped down at the last local election.

Collins jumped the sinking ship.  What should we expect from a Labour run council.  

• Like 2