Queen Elizabeth

I note that a line has been drawn through the German comment of Bubblewrap

so in the interests of accuracy I make the following observations.

1.Our present Queen descends from the house of Hanover. George V adopted the name Windsor (for obvious reasons ) Our present Queen is Mrs Windsor although in reality Mrs Mountbatten itself an Anglicization of the German Battenberg (through marriage to Philip). In 1960 she changed her name to Mountbatten- Windsor so that her male descendants are thus named.

2.In 1840 Victoria became Mrs Wettin when she married Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.(Wettin being Albert`s family name. Victoria was of course 6 generations from the German king George 1 ,but still from German stock (mother a Saxe-Cobburg-Saalfeld)(father Hanoverian).

Still what does it matter? We have a German( Angela Merkel) telling us what to do in Europe,instead of Adolf as it nearly was !

I used to be a huge believer in Monarchy,but the jury is still out at present in my case,the more I study history. I have seen the Queen up close on many occasons ,but am undecided. However Charles and Camilla are entirely different and I cannot wait for a Republic in Australia when they ascend the throne.

At present `Long live the Queen!'

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all of you out there who love our Queen. Well done Elizabeth We are so proud of you. Click on the link on the right of the page for a picture of the Queen for every year of her reign. http://www

Austerity finally hits the royals

Our queen is a must, she has never put a foot wrong, always looks good and has served our Country well, she is 89 and still working, any other person would have retired 24 years ago, the lesser Royals

I think that the majority of the British public love our Queen, as is shown everytime she makes an appearance. Another Royal who was much loved was Princess Diana, as was shown by the vast crowds lining the roads at her funeral. Her sons, Prince William and Prince Harry are also very popular with the British public. However, Prince Charles and Camilla don't seem to have the love of a lot of the people. They seem to dislike Prince Charles and Camilla for having an affair during his marriage to Princess Diana. If Charles was to become King I think it would be to the detriment of the Royals in general.

• Upvote 3

I am a great Royalist and must say I fear what the alternative would be. Just look what our MPs have done to the House of Lords there are now more in there than ever before and some are no more than cronies that have bought their way in.

As has been said HM is now 89 getting on for 90 and is still working away for our good and I reckon she is worth and earns every penny.

• Upvote 3

The Monarchy is no more expensive than the cost of keeping an alternative Head of State. As I said in the other Royal thread, the Monarchy costs less than the cost of the German president, who most people have never heard of.

The lesser royals we can do without.

• Upvote 2

At teas break at work t'other day I mentioned queen Camilla: They all went on about how they didn't want her as queen! I pointed out: "It's not a democratic process, you wont have any say in it at all. Charlie boy will be king & his Mrs will be queen whether Joe & Joanne Public like it or not, we have zero choice!" Wonder if Australia will have a another referendum?

• Upvote 1

Firstly, Australia will have another referendum before Charles becomes king. It was only clever wording that avoided abolition of the monarchy last time. Charles is greatly disliked over here.

Charles will be head of the Church of England as king. That woman Camilla was married before, so the situation is similar to Edward, and with a strong prime minister ,Charles could be advised to abdicate in favour of his son.

Of more interest would have been the situation if William died before Charles.

Charles will be head of the Church of England as king. That woman Camilla was married before, so the situation is similar to Edward, and with a strong prime minister ,Charles could be advised to abdicate in favour of his son.

That's a good point, it seems to me it's exactly the same situation. Has there been any change in the laws since the abdication?

• Upvote 1

According to information on this website: http://www.britroyals.com/faqs.htm

'Royals who are divorced or marry divorcees do not lose their position in the line of succession.'

In the case of Edward VIII:

'When George V died Prime Minister Baldwin made it clear that the Government, popular opinion in the country and the oversees Dominions (now the Commonwealth nations) did not approve of his plans to marry Wallis. Social attitudes towards divorce and a woman looking for a third marriage were considered scandalous at the time, and if Edward married against the advice of his Ministers it would have caused the Government to resign and a constitutional crisis. Edward chose to abdicate.'

So it wasn't a case of his marriage to a divorcee making it illegal for him to remain King.

With regard to 'Queen Camilla', it was announced at the time of their marriage:

'It is intended that Mrs Parker Bowles should use the title HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne'

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/media/press-releases/announcement-of-the-marriage-of-hrh-the-prince-of-wales-and-mrs-camilla-parker

Prince Charles and Camilla don't seem to have the love of a lot of the people. They seem to dislike Prince Charles and Camilla for having an affair during his marriage to Princess Diana.

Didn't Diana have an affair too? According to my wife, Prince Harry is not Prince Charles's son - she points to the lack of resemblance to his brother as support for this theory.

As far as lack of familial resemblance goes one might also mention Prince Andrew - but that's a different set of gossip...

When the Queen is sadly no longer, I think public opinion towards the Monarchy will change greatly, when Charles becomes King.

I'm afraid Charles and Camilla don't appeal to me at all. I'd prefer to see William as King, in a more modernised Monarchy, as in other European countries.

• Upvote 2

Remember there is nothing within the Church of England that prevents divorce. Also, divorcees can also remarry in church at the discretion of individual priests. If the Royal family have divorces, they're no different to the rest of society.

• Upvote 1

The Royals made a number of visits to Hucknall that the inhabitants were never aware of. They used the airfield to fly into/out of in connection with their duties in the area or, perhaps, when visiting Chatsworth. The Queen, when waiting for her aircraft to arrive, was shown the VC-10 RB211 flying testbed. The photo below shows the Duke of Edinburgh arriving and being met by chief test pilot Cliff Rogers, in the summer of 1964. I also remember Princess Margaret flying in in the Royal Flight Heron.

My opinion on the Royalty: let the Queen serve out her reign and then be finished with the monarchy. This is the 21st century, We do not want such establishments. For most of the so-called 'royalists', they only see them as celebs. And as a family to look up to, to set examples and be guided by - the less said the better.

Duke%20of%20Edinburgh_zps7auifkwg.jpg

• Upvote 1

Chulla, they're not celebs, they're Royalty!!!!!!

• Upvote 1