Queen Elizabeth

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all of you out there who love our Queen. Well done Elizabeth We are so proud of you. Click on the link on the right of the page for a picture of the Queen for every year of her reign. http://www

Austerity finally hits the royals

Our queen is a must, she has never put a foot wrong, always looks good and has served our Country well, she is 89 and still working, any other person would have retired 24 years ago, the lesser Royals

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Excuse me

Yes- what do you want?

I’d like to buy a car

And you are?

Mr Brew

No you’re not

Pardon

You’re not Mr, that’s a gender specific salutation and not allowed

Oh OK I’m Jim

No you’re not, keep up this patriarchal, non-gender fluidity attitude and we’ll have you

Oh sorry, can I have that one in Black?

You’re really pushing now aren’t you?

OK a white one

NO you can’t, white is the colour of Caucasian imperialistic aggression and the oppression of minorities

A blue one?

No

Why

Making a choice means you’re discriminating – you’ll get what you’re given.

Sorry, are you joking?

JOKING! Are you mad? Don’t you know jokes are hate crimes now?

Good lord really?

Right that’s it I’m calling the police.  You can’t mention religion in a public place. Have you any idea how many that might offend?...

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

Harry & Andrew were they missed?  The occasion was minimal but just as emotive as was the Beebs offering last night some of the tributes were very moving.  One item will stick in my mind when this poem was read out. Written by a Canadian Pilot Officer shortly before he was killed in the Battle of Britain I photographed it some years ago at Fenny Bentley, Fighter Command HQ, I have posted it before but I think it's worth repeating>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                2015-No8024.jpg

• Like 3

Re Missing persons, total  numbers were limited due to Covid restrictions, there were very few Ambassadors, the ones that were there represented several of the missing ones.

No masks but everyone had a mark to stand on to ensure distancing.

• 7 months later...

Wasn't me or anyone else  alive today in this country...  who 'Colonised'' places  or 'Enslaved' people...........tell these people and countries to ''Get off our backs''

• Like 3

What's next? Rewrite history, a la the late and unlamented USSR, leaving out the bits you want to forget or don't want others to know about?  Won't stop me singing Rule Britannia. In fact, I'll sing it more loudly!

Typical student nonsense but there's really nothing new. In the 60's we would protest about anything and everything that smacked of authority, whether we understood it or not. Rebellion is something of a rite of passage for the young.

Back then we were far more left leaning than those in the 80's and 90's who seemed quite happy to leave things alone, however the reasons for that belong in the politics thread.

Now the pendulum has swung again and students are spoilt for choice. There is a small but vociferous coterie who have an enormous amount of influence and a smorgasbord of causes to jump up and down about. Islamophobia, homophobia, racism, imperialism, capitalism... the list goes on, the more controversial the better.

The sad part is the amount of pandering those who should know better pay them

If this was few hundred, or maybe less, years ago, there'd be a few people in Oxford with their heads missing.

And if all the terrible Colonialism hadn't happened, then Oxford and many other colleges and Unis would probably not exist today.

• Like 1

Quick response to the last few posts, from a left-leaning, radical, anti-imperialist, anti-nazi, pro tolerance, pro diversity, anti oppression, pro democracy but mostly.. anti-idiocy campaigner...

Two points are often missed out when assorted factions rail against statues, symbols, images, words and assorted 'isms'.

1. Degree.  I.E. how much does the offending entity really have the power and impact its detractors allege?

2. Intent. To what extent is, for e.g., the portrait of Madge intended to glorify colonialism, as opposed to for e.g.,simply representing British unity, state, values, etc.. blahh blahh.

Mencken again.  'Solutions to complex problems being clear, simple and wrong.'

As I recall.. we had a portrait of Madge in our Parish Council offices throughout the all Labour 'Reign off Terror' in which I participated. ;). It offended none of us.

OTOH, the local (now closed) Conservative Club...had a portrait of Madge, which didn't bother me in the least.. and a portrait of the 'Blessed Margaret' draped in the Union Flag, complete with blue rinse and doing her damnedest to usurp the image and authority of Madge..and which I found deeply offensive..as well as ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, Stuart.C said:

If this was few hundred, or maybe less, years ago, there'd be a few people in Oxford with their heads missing.

And if all the terrible Colonialism hadn't happened, then Oxford and many other colleges and Unis would probably not exist today.

First sentence correct.

Second sentence probably not.. as Oxford, Cambridge and a few others pre-date British Colonialism by some margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_date_of_foundation#Ancient_universities

It’s a fad the ‘woke’ generation are going through along with toppling statues. It would be better, if these people really have a social conscience, to concentrate on the present, not the past. Slavery is rife, more than ever it was; throughout the world and in this country. Nothing much is said or done about that. 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Nothing much is said or done about that.

It takes far more organisation and commitment to change the present day situation, homelessness, poverty, slavery etc than  it does to get p***ed, pull down a statue then all go home thinking what clever, caring sharing people we are.... 

• Like 1

High time it was drilled into these students that history cannot be rewritten, what happened was in the past and cannot be changed. They are at university to be educated not cause disruption and annoy people. Any of them who cause damage to property should be thrown out on their ear. No argument is going to be sold to the masses by the actions of a bunch of louts. To want to remove the Queens portrait is an absolute disgrace and they should be given a very clear  message of who is in charge and it is not them. If they don't like it well hard luck. They are little more than children and are supposed to be the future leaders. God help us, I am glad my time will have come before that happens as they do the best impression of the oozlum bird I have seen. Many of them are absolutely clueless and have no idea of what is not acceptable.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

I don't know about some mythical entity who, apparently, sits in clouds, surrounded by obese children, with wings, dressed in white robes sporting a beard is about to save the world or the UK from war, famine, disease etc, this mythical, will of the whisp, which inhabits of some minds has yet to achieve any such thing. As for saving the monarch, save her from what?

Not an leftie or a righty just a realist.

• Like 1