Queen Elizabeth

Fly, I never said I thought they were celebs - only that some of the 'royalty-lovers' regard them as celebrities. Witness the countless number of photographers who photograph them to fill the pages of silly magazines devoted to showing well-known people that silly women can't get enough of.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For all of you out there who love our Queen. Well done Elizabeth We are so proud of you. Click on the link on the right of the page for a picture of the Queen for every year of her reign. http://www

Austerity finally hits the royals

Our queen is a must, she has never put a foot wrong, always looks good and has served our Country well, she is 89 and still working, any other person would have retired 24 years ago, the lesser Royals

You got me there matey, I can't argue with that.

You're quite right about the 'celeb' status of younger Royals. To plenty of magagzines and the tabloid press, they're the holy grail with massive appeal to younger readers and gossip-mongers. Apart from the heirs, we don't need any of them.

The older Royals, especially extended family, aren't celebs because there is very little public interest. We don't need them either.

But HM the Queen a 'celeb'? One's definitely not amused!

In 1955 The Royal Show was in Wollaton Park. Mum and dad took me and they said I would see the Queen. I was quite excited and I expected her to appear complete with crown and long cloak, just like in the picture books. I was disappointed when she wore a pink hat rather than a crown and ordinary clothes. Mum and dad were quite amused!

• Upvote 1

Charlie boy has some strange friends and has provided one of them with a nice house.......................

Peter Ball, the former bishop of Lewes and Gloucester, pleaded guilty on Tuesday morning to two counts of indecent assault relating to two young men and one charge of misconduct in public office, which relates to the sexual abuse of 16 young men over a period of 15 years from 1977-1992.

It was not until 2012, after several inquiries, that the church finally released documents to the police and he was arrested and charged with misconduct in public office, relating to the sexual abuse of 16 victims, and four counts of indecent assault against four young men.

Ball was enthroned as the bishop of Gloucester in 1991, in a ceremony attended by the Prince of Wales. Ball resigned in 1993 and moved to Manor Lodge in the Somerset village of Aller. The wisteria-clad property is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, the private estate headed by Charles.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/08/former-bishop-peter-ball-admits-sexually-abusing-young-men

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/15/pricne-charles-provided-free-house-to-bishop-arrested-in-uk-child-abuse-probe.html

​

• Like 1

I will always stand for the National Anthem to show my respect for Queen and country and it's also a sign of respect to all the people who have given their lives for their country. Although I rarely go to a pub, I once went with a friend to an England football game. When they played the National Anthem I was the only one who stood up. I'm happy doing what I do and that's all that matters to me.

• Upvote 6

We have been very lucky having this queen, as others have said she has behaved herself. We may not be so lucky with the next king & queen (Charlie boy & Camilla) as they may not keep their gobs shut & may stick their noses in where they shouldn't. Oh yeah & we wont be able to vote them out..

I do hope that Charlie boy and Camilla never get to the throne, I despise that awful woman, the cause of Diana's death........The Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Princess Margaret must be turning in their graves.........

I will always stand for the National Anthem to show my respect for Queen and country and it's also a sign of respect to all the people who have given their lives for their country. Although I rarely go to a pub, I once went with a friend to an England football game. When they played the National Anthem I was the only one who stood up. I'm happy doing what I do and that's all that matters to me.

Well done you........It happened to me once, I got lots of sniggers, but I cared not either, we lost people in the war too.........

• Upvote 3

Didn't Diana have an affair too? According to my wife, Prince Harry is not Prince Charles's son - she points to the lack of resemblance to his brother as support for this theory.

As far as lack of familial resemblance goes one might also mention Prince Andrew - but that's a different set of gossip...

Harry is Charles's son, he inherited the red hair from the Spencer Family - If you look closely at him, he resembles Charles, they have the same eyes and he also looks a lot like Peter Philips, Ann's son.......I do feel sorry for Harry having to endure this gossip, it must hurt him......Poor chap....... Diana started her affairs after the children were born, because she knew that Charles did not want her and was seeing that old nag Camilla - neigh........Prince Andrew resembles the previous Duke of Kent, the queen's uncle who was killed in the war........some people should think twice before they spread these horrible untruths which they cannot prove.............

• Upvote 3

When the Queen is sadly no longer, I think public opinion towards the Monarchy will change greatly, when Charles becomes King.

I'm afraid Charles and Camilla don't appeal to me at all. I'd prefer to see William as King, in a more modernised Monarchy, as in other European countries.

Well said TBI.....

I think the Queen is wonderful too & I don't mind Charlie boy either

It's all the minor royals such as The Duke of Kent(of the funny handshakes brigade) I'm none too fond of. thumbsdown

The queen is a great person, so are a lot of them, but I am afraid her son Charley boy is just a sick joke.........I wouldn't want him as king after what he has done to the Monarchy - I can remember Fergie being slated in the 90's, but she was not half as bad as him..........

• Upvote 1

People in Britain will argue about the monarchy till the end of time, the fact is, virtually every civilised country in the world has a head of state of some kind, remember Hitler was Germany's head of state for a while!

If we didn't have a monarchy, the only really credible alternative would be a republic with a presidential type of figurehead.

Those who would prefer that in Britain are perfectly entitled to that view but I would throw down one challenge to them: Name one single person who you think would make a suitable or an acceptable president!

How about President Blair? or President Cameron, or even President Clegg? Alternatively, it could be someone who has enough money to simply buy the job, such as Donald Trump in America. It could also be someone who nobody has ever heard of, such as Herman von Rumpuoy, President of the EU. But it's usually some former politician who most likely didn't appeal very much the first time round.

Sorry, but none of those options appeal to me. Our monarchy has it's faults but I respect it for it's continuity and it's standing in the world. I couldn't muster any respect for someone who I know would be gone again in four or five years time. Think of the number of people who visit Britain to see our royal family and it's traditions, does a similar number visit France to see President Hollande?

One last point if you think our monarchy costs too much, you think the presidential option would be cheaper? you think presidents don't have hangers on? Take a look at some of them as they travel around the world, they take enormous entourages with them and because they are mostly political, they need armies of security personnel too.

Taking it all round, I'd rather stick with what we've got!

• Upvote 7

I THINK the Queen is great for our country,Phillips ok ,and i reckon Charles will be good with Camilla,then William,forget the others.

At east they would be elected & answerable to the public also replaceable.

What's the point, the reality is all democratically elected heads of state exist in the job for a term or two and then get replaced. Look at the US presidents just as an example, did any of them do a truly historic job and were universally liked. I can't think of any. Were they a damn sight cheaper than the Monarchy, almost certainly not.

I suppose many on here have taken an oath of allegiance at sometime or other and it includes allegiance to the royals, the country. and other overseas elements. As far as I'm concerned, in a league table of priorities, the country and its people would be first every time.

Re #69, not quoting but in answer to Merthyr Imp,

Yes, I subscribe to that theory too. I don't think Phillip was wholly responsible but I think he was involved.

Diana was becoming increasingly involved with Dodi-al -Fayed and it was looking quite likely that she was intending to marry him.

Now there is no way that the British establishment would allow the Heir to the British throne to have a stepfather of the Muslim faith.

Something had to be done and the establishment (whoever they may be) procured it. I don't doubt for a minute that Phillip was aware of what was going on!

• Upvote 1

Another of my wife's theories is that it was the Duke of Edinburgh who arranged for Diana's car crash.

Assassins throughout history have made sure their attempts at removing their target from the planet Earth came as close as possible to a 100% positive result.

I can't think of any that have arranged an accident with the remote possibility that their target MIGHT be killed.

If the car had been made to fly over a 1000 foot cliff the possibility of it being a serious assassination attempt might be believable.

Blondie, maybe I have misunderstood your last two posts but are you not contradicting yourself. Unless of course you know more than you are letting on.

#62 I quote you " I despise that awful woman, the cause of Diana's death"

#64 I quote you " some people should think twice before they spread these horrible untruths which they cannot prove"

• Upvote 1