James Johnstone & Iris Esswood in Radford

Hi forum. Desperately seeking. I was not born in Radford but remember visiting grandparents on Garfield road I think it was no 3. And I have just discovered that my biological grandma lived at 12 Leonard terrace at the same time.I am searching for a man called james Johnstone who was lodgeing at Leonard terrace in 1967 I believe he was from Coventry and was probably came here for work. He was 24 years old at the time .Does anyone remember him?

My grandmas name was iris esswood at the time and I've been told was living with a Margaret pegg.also with 2 daughters Lynn and sue. Does any one remember any of the family?

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a look at this and can see a possible marriage for mother Iris (assuming maiden name Maddock) in 1950 and her later marriage in 1981 ?

This isn't really what Joe wants though, I expect he knows that .

It's unfortunate it's a common name like Johnstone that has so many variations , could be Johnson or Johnston without the E . There are probably dozens with that name or variations born in 1943 .

Hi, thanks for having a look.

My grandma is iris esswood nee maddock and my mum is linda esswood(daughter)' I don't have much info on james and have not had any look finding out much at all.on my adoption records his name is spelt Johnstone with the e. He was believed to be from Coventry and married when he came to be lodging at Leonard terrace. He was known as Jimmy 24 at the time and linda( mum) would have been 16' my notes say he was in prison when I was born in 1967 for larceny.and that's really all I know. I traced my mum's side of the family 17 years ago but she will not give me any info on my dad. This is the last piece of my missing jigsaw if you know what I mean, and I know it may never be completed but I wanted to give it a try.I have looked up births and can only find 1 james Johnston born in Coventry 1942' but no other leads.

Thanks joe

Yes Joe53 that Coventry one (Johnston)

is the one I saw . Thats why I queried the spelling .

Maybe his court case made the newspapers , so perhaps a visit to the archives to browse through that years Evening Post may tell you more . Unfortunately the online editions only go up to about 1950 at the moment .

Thanks davidw for taking the time. I am lost at this research thing, what other info could I get from the Johnston entry if only to rule it out? I have tried to follow on from the birth record to a marriage record somewhere between 1958 and 1966 as he was married before he met my mum. Where are the archives I would need to look at

Joe

Apart from giving mothers maiden surname, you can't get much info from the online index .

You have to order the certificate to get parents full name and address .

At approx. £10 a time for the cert. can get expensive !

Contact info for Notts archives here :

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/whats-on/archives/visiting-archives

They may have relevant court records too , though not sure how hard it would be to search them having never visited .

Thank you .it might give me an address to start with of course it could no longer exist as redevelopment takes over but it's worth a go .are you of the same opinion that this is the only entry for james of the time as I couldn't find any others.if so I'll send of for this one when payday arrives ,like you said I don't want to be paying out on a wild goose Chase!!

It's the only James Johnston birth that I could see in Coventry in 1942 . Of course just because your James Johnstone came from Coventry to Nottingham doesn't mean he was actually born in Coventry !

The entry for this James , says mothers maiden name Reynoldson .

Can't see a Johnstone / Reynoldson marriage .

The only Coventry marriage for a Reynoldson I can see, near that time , is an earlier 1939 marriage for a Hilda Reynoldson to a George Kilsby . Actually it's a bit confusing as there are two entries for George Kilsby under the same reference . So she could also be called Hilda Hole , Probably marriage to George Kilsby was her second marriage .

Edit : there is a marriage for a Hilda Hole to a George Reynoldson in 1920 in Lanchester .

Clutching at straws really and only you can decide if it's worth risking the money on what could be a useless piece of paper .

Yes thanks. I have come across a marriage in 1960 james Johnston to Margaret m Larkin. I got the reynoldson link also. Do they have old telephone directories to Coventry I could pick a year and ring every Johnstone in the book. But where to start and where to find them? I did trace my mum that way it was only the 4th entry but that was too easy from the nottingham directory as we use to have good phone books in them days.