Market Square 1959 - Who was here?

For the various people who were there, whether up trees or behind hedges, you might see yourselves here. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cup-heroes-home

Once it starts playing, click on the white rectangle at the bottom right of the small screen and it will go full-screen on your computer.

I went down to the Market Square after school in my uniform with 2 friends, we had red tsreamers in our hair and the Sports teacher, Miss Boctock saw us and gave us detention the next day for wearing the streamers whilst wearing our uniforms - Saw the whole team on the top of the bus and Dwight with his leg in a plaster cast he was in a wheelchair on the square.......the atmosphere was electric.....

TBI - I always thought she was great until that day( PE Teacher) even had a crush on her when I was 13 years old, went right off her after that day, ' Thunder Thighs '

• Upvote 1

Can't believe nobody's commented that Roy Dwight was Elton John's uncle.

I was there in the Square with my Dad. I was 9 at the time and he lifted me up so I had a better view but can't remember where we stood.

I never knew that Lizzie - but of course I remember now that Elton John's name was Dwight - WOW !!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Luton Town were known as the Hatters. A party of Forest supporters from the Gate Inn at Awsworth, went to Wembley in a car for the match. On the way back up the M1 (I think it was), the car in front of them had an enormous straw boater strapped the car roof. It was blowing around and it was obvious that it was going to blow off the roof. When it did the Gate supporters stopped and retrieved it. It then hung on the wall in the Gate Inn with the words LOOT FROM WEMBLEY written in lipstick.

A friend of mine's father was a director of Redmayne and Todd at the time. For a while they displayed the FA cup in the shop window. The cup was removed at night for security purposes. It was taken home where it sat on the sideboard whilst they enjoyed dinner!

Stood at the end of St Andrew's Road opposite the Forest entrance just before my 5th birthday and saw the 10 able bodied members of the team sat iOn the roof of the coach - and wondered how they managed to avoid slipping off!

I did not go being a Notts fan but I did deliver Billy Walkers paper if that counts.....

My old man was a big Notts fan but it never stopped him getting tickets for him my sister and myself for anything cup or Wembley related. He was actually the first bloke to win the annual Notts county supporters draw, £10,000!! If I remember I'll get the program scanned and post it tomorrow. Billy Walker was married to Joy Beverley who my dad had a bit of a soft spot for.

Luton have had a bit of a torrid time against the Florest in the past, particularly at Wembley.