Not sure I've got the exact spelling there...

Nellies was a legendary shop in the 1950's I only went in a couple of times and I'm guessing it would be about 1957 or thereabouts. I went in with some of the bigger lads from Bestwood Est.

The shop was famous for selling fireworks out of season (you can buy them anytime now.. you couldn't back then) Also had some sort of gambling machine on one wall. And sold 'loose' cigs and a couple of matches.

Thing is I can't remember exactly where it was. I'm pretty sure somewhere on the Basford side of Arnold Rd and beyond the Heathfield pub. The only place I can think it might have been would be on the corner of Barlock Rd opposite the Park Tavern.

Anybody else able to add to this?

Col

I remember Nellie Bisby's. It was on the right-hand side of the road just before you got to the Park Tavern and Barlock Road. I was at the entrance to somewhere, probably Pearson's factory. It was about half way between Stead's garage and the Park Tavern.

• Upvote 1

Bit further down Col,roughly where the closed down Snooker club stands,....originally it was at the entrance to Pearsons factory where myMam worked,Bisby's was also bookies' before bookies existed if you know what i mean. lol.Mam and her sisters all placed their bets in there,........The gambling machine was a 'Clock' type thing,put a few pennies in there i can tell ya,and yes bought individual fags there as well.Thinking about it 'Nelly' would be locked up today,bleddy place was a 'Den of iniquity' lol.

My Dad always told me her husband played for Notts co.

• Upvote 1

Newbasfordlad, Nursery lane was/is across the road,broke me Dads spade up there digging Guzgog bush up,got home with said bush and just spade handle,Dad wer'nt best pleased.

• Upvote 2

just checked what Dad told me ref Nelly Bisby's husband Charlie' playing for Notts co,and indeed he did,he played full back in the 30s,and had a benifit dance at the 'Palais' in 1932.

• Upvote 1

I used to go in Nellie Bisby's shop when I went to Southwark Street Infants & Juniors School. The shop was

situated about where the defunct snooker club (Deverills) is. On the opposite of the road was a beer-off

on the corner of Wilton Street, the off licence was owned by a chap called Edgar Waite, I lived on Heathfield Road and every Sunday my parents gave me a big jug to fetch this booze called "Luncheon Ale"

I seem to recall the jug held a quart of ale, I know my wrists were aching by the time I'd carried home.

• Upvote 3

Fascinating stuff folks! I was in Southwark St only on Monday but I didn't really notice any changes because I've probably only been down there about twice in the last 40 or so years and most of it seems different. Last Monday was Mum's funeral and we had a bit of a wake in the Park Tavern.

Incidentally never even noticed Nursery Lane. That's a new one on me. Must have a look next time I'm home.

Benjamin. The 'gaming' machine was indeed like a big dial but I don't recall how it was played.

One thing I always remember about that whole area, and also some similar areas, especially in Summer, was an all pervading smell of creosote which came from railway sleepers, sleepers used as fences etc. You don't get that now.

Col

There used to be lots of little shops like Nellie Bisby's in those days. There was one in a row of houses next to the John Barleycorn at Cinder Hill. It was Florrie Inger's. Never went in it, though. Come to think of it, I cannot remember what she sold.

DJ360 #10

Nursery lane is opp.side of road facing what was Barlock printers,after the Allotments were left abandoned,the sign for it was just a scrawled painted one for years,i'll have to have a look what its like now,as for the Gaming machine in 'Bisby's' you put a penny in and if the hand stopped on say 4 oclock you got 4d and so on,can't ever remember it stopping on 12 oclock and getting a shilling,...lol.

Barlock rd is Basford and runs from Arnold rd to the ring rd,and the Park Tavern is also Basford and stands on the corner of Barlock rd,

When I saw the thread title "Nellie Bisby" I thought "Where have I heard that before?". Well when I was around 6 yrs old, we lived in an old stone detached house called Stoneycroft on Arnold Lane, between Wilton St. and Wallis St. Set in an acre of land with a pear orchard and a Bulwell stone wall all around (with broken glass in the top to deter climbers). We were only there for a year (rented) before moving to Bulwell. Stoneycroft was later demolished and a factory was built on the site called Spreckley and Evans, some sort of label printers - still there I think as "Spreckley" and the perimeter wall is still there.

I guess I must have overheard Mam and Dad saying they were popping out to Nellie Bisby's as it was nearby.

A previous occupier (or maybe owner) of Stoneycroft was Dr Keaveney/Keaveny (think he was well known locally in Basford, but before my time).

I've been told that Stoneycroft and another stone house, Rosebery House were built by the Pearsons family (dept. store); one for each daughter. Rosebery House is still there I think, further down Arnold Road (Waterford St.); some sort of health clinic maybe.

• Upvote 1

We used to drink at the Park Tavern on Barlock Road on a Sunday night with the gang in the 1970's, 16 of us.......was my hubby's grandad's local in the 1920/30's, he lived on Vernon Avenue........he was Jack Mabbott who played football for Notts County and Preston Northend in the 1890s..........

Many thanks to all who have responded!

Who'd have thought that a simple query about a slightly 'iffy' shop, would generate so much histoorical and anecdotal stuff!

Col

That was it Enigma,............between ;Bisby's' and the Park Tavern' on cliff tons pic, thats the cottages where my Dad was born 1923,also St,Aidens church where Mam and Dad were Married 1944,and one of my sons in the 90s.

• Upvote 1