VW scandal over engine emissions

It's not to just appease regulators, it's to save money on the fines, I can't recall the exact figure, but I'm sure I read it was $35,000 per vehicle per day, that works out at a few billion bucks...LOL

I just read, it's already cost them $15 Billion so far.

All this means that VW/Audi are unlikely to have enough money left to get into Formula 1 as has been mooted over the past couple of weeks. The knock-on effect is that Red Bull will probably pull out of F1.

Never seen a VW beetle formula1 car...LOL A mate of mine had one as his second car, top speed was 60mph, and that was down hill...LOL

He was on his way home one morning from work, going uphill in the Blue Mountains when a cyclist passed him...LOL

# 22 As I understand it the software could detect when the engine was under test and change the running of the engine to lower the emissions, soon as the test was over it went back to normal.

I understand that the car could detect that the steering was not being used, this would be immobilized if the car was on rollers.

the wheel rotation is sensed by the Anti lock braking system if the car is on rollers at the front or rear the abs senses that two wheels are not turning and puts the electronic control unit for the engine into a low fuel mode,I suspect that mondeos with two litre ford diesel engines have the same set up ,

• Upvote 1

Breaking news - 1.2 million vehicles in UK affected, including VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda cars together with VW vans.

The specific number of vehicles affected under each brand are:

Volkswagen cars 508,276

Audi 393,450

Seat 76,773

Skoda 131,569

VW commercial vehicles 79,838

Total 1,189,906

I don't get the assertion that VW think they can fix this with software. The design of the engines is such that despite best engineering efforts, they couldn't get the emissions low enough to market the vehicles as fitting a certain emissions band (which in the UK affects the road fund licence fee) so they fiddled the engine software to burn fuel more efficiently when test conditions were detected. When they 'fix' the software, it will just put the engine back to 'normal'. Under test, the emissions will be 'real', most likely putting the vehicles into a higher tax band.

So aside of any indirect cost in reputation and customer confidence that will affect new sales, there's the real cost of more road tax and lower resale values for existing owners; each of them deserves compensation.

In fact, it may be the case that each owner can sue VW for fraud by false representation. Move over PPI; I can see a whole new claims industry here - we'll start getting phone calls: "Have you purchased a new or second-hand VW/Audo/Seat/Skoda diesel in the last five years.........."

I wonder how dirty coal fueled diesels are??? Don't laugh!! It's been done and proved, modified diesel engines running on fine coal dust were experimented with years back.

• 2 weeks later...

I see today, four more car makers are caught up in this mess, stems from NOx emissions.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row?CMP=twt_gu