For those of you who are interested, just a reminder that it is time to look skyward tomorrow.

http://www.thestandarddaily.com/supermoon-lunar-eclipse-to-occur-on-27th-september-2015-with-the-next-one-in-2033/5909/

PS, keep your eye's peeled for last weeks asteroid, in case it's a bit late? Wheres me tin hat!

• Upvote 5

Last time I peered up at the sky, awaiting a greatly anticipated phenomenon, I waited and waited...... then apparently it was all over.

I'll probably be busy washing the pots at tea-time tomorrow anyway.

In our local paper I read that the bookies are giving odds of 200-1 that the world is going to end after the supermoon eclipse tonight! They are certainly winners either way cos if it does, they're not going to have to pay out are they!

• Upvote 5

Just been in the garden to look at the moon. It really is very big and bright - think I'll stay up to watch the eclipse.

Did you ever arrange with an absent boyfriend/girlfriend to look at the moon at a certain time each night, so you could feel 'connected' with each other? I did.....

• Upvote 1

#13 Margie, Yes, when I was fourteen and had my first tender love. I would stand at the door and look at the big star every night at 11pm. He said he did as well. But you know what these Arnold Lads are like. Oh, Young Love! :Kiss: Anyway, he packed me in, broke my little heart. But.I went on to better things.

• Upvote 1

Toyed with trying to get a pic. But even with my best lens ( 300mm) the moon shows up very tiny on photos. Then you need to get yer tripod out. And it's cold outside.

And it's supposed to be max eclipse about 3:00am. And I'm coming down with a cold. And anyway somebody always gets a better pic.

Sod it. :(

Col

• Upvote 1

As Billy Fury sings. A Thousand Stars In The Sky........... :biggrin:

Don't want to be a bore but did you know that this was also a hit for Cathy Young in the US in 1960? Of course both Biily and Cathy's versions were re-workings of the Riveleers original 1953 Doo Wop classic. It was written by Eugene 'Gene' Pearson, pictured far left below.

Just sayin'..... :laugh:

Col

• Upvote 1

#14. Merthyr imp, I remember the Hale Bopp comet. It was in the sky when our first grandchild was born and he had a birthmark on his forehead which looked like a little comet with a 'tail'. His dad called him comet boy for a while. I remember looking up at the comet as I was cycling up to our son's house one evening about 11 pm after a desperate phone call asking for help to help the baby settle - he wouldn't stop crying. I stayed for an hour trying every trick I knew, and eventually he stopped crying - out of exhaustion I think!

I remember being amazed that the comet could be seen for several days even though it was travelling so fast.

The grandson had his birthmark removed last year..... He was handsome even before that, but how could it be any other way!!

Didn't know the Hale Bopp was coming back in the nineties. My late wife and I were driving back from Edmonton quite late when we suddenly both saw it. Both taken aback, we'd never seen a comet before. Quite a sight.

Just looked out. The Moon is now about 4/5 covered and just beginning to look a bit reddish. You don't get a total shadow like you do with a Solar Eclipse, so it will stay visible and just go deep blood red.

As some TV progs have pointed out, there's a lot of hype out there re this event. Lunar Eclipses are not that rare. Super Moons are not that rare. Getting both together is rarer, but what you see isn't that much more spectacular.

Still nice though.

Also a very nice starry night which isn't common here on Merseyside because we get al the light pollution from L'pool, Manchester, Wigan, Warrington etc.

Col

P.S. Hale Bopp was awesome. I'd been wanting to see a comet for as long as I could remember and been constantly disappointed. Kahoutek in the 70s was rubbish, Halley's seems to have fizzled, but Hale Bopp was amazing.

• Upvote 3

I remember going out one night with the family to try and see Hale Bopp but no matter where we went no joy. Later I was on my way out of the house on me way to work and there it was - in the sky I hasten to add not outside our front door.

Yes good clear sky her in Tamworth last night so got a great view of the ,moon etc.

Just a thought maybe the world has ended and no one has bothered to tell us

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1