Nottingham from above - Market Square

Looks like there was something going off in the Market Square/ Council House area judging by the people and the procession. Anyone hazard a guess at what the event might be?

#26 & 30. Can't be circa 1945 because there are flower beds where the emergency water tanks were in the Square. I think I can see the Queen Victoria statue, which should give a not-later date.

I think it's more circa '47. The beds were there in 1939, were excavated to provide water-tanks for fire-fighting as Chulla says, and had been re-established sometime before 1949.

Firstly I wish to apologise to Chulla for questioning his knowledge, I do hope you accept. I feel a right idiot., again.

I went on dates shown on the historical O.S. maps. CliffTon's photo #13 showing the school between Cairns Street and Union Street is post 1946 on my photo#12 it dated pre 1946. If you are right TBI and the flower beds were removed in 1939 then my photo is between 1939-46 or before 1939.

But circa does mean around about. It has become a bit of a habit getting things wrong with dates and street names on what I upload so I am going to stop uploading for a while until I am sure of the facts relating to any material I intend to share.

But circa does mean around about. It has become a bit of a habit getting things wrong with dates and street names on what I upload so I am going to stop uploading for a while until I am sure of the facts relating to any material I intend to share.

The problem, as I have also found, is how to be certain of the date of any photo. Unless you took it yourself and can state categorically that you took it in a certain year, you can never be certain. If a photo is said (In a book or online or wherever) to be from a certain year, people tend to believe and repeat that information without knowing for certain it is accurate.

For instance, on PTP, the date stated is the one which is given by the person who provided the photo; that person may be wrong but PTP can't know that.

I'm a great fan of the Whitworth / Oldfield books, but there are occasional errors in their dating. One example is a photo described as 1966; but - speaking in anorak mode - it has to be at least 1970 because there's a Hillman Avenger on the street.

Don't worry about it Robbie - even I get it wrong sometimes (cough, cough). When I was a little lad just after the war, I used to catch the number 22 bus from alongside the Market Square. I well remember the water reservoirs with their wire mesh covering. I am not certain but think the toilets were built after the reservoirs were made back into flower beds.

• Upvote 1

We had friends from Devon to stay with us early last week,and we visited the town centre, they thought that it was fantastic,!We have become too used to it and forget to look ,familiarity and all that ! When I showed them pictures of Victoria Station and Drury Hill etc they thought the council had committed acts of vandalism

• Upvote 1

# 29 Cliff Ton you are right the building is the old Journal Office. In the Bing Maps photo you linked to you can see that on the far right corner of the building there is the Watson Fothergill designed round tower. That was the entrance to the front office. The old Journal Office was a big building. My dad worked there and in 1961 he took me for a look around.

• Upvote 1