Nottingham Lamposts

I grew up on Elstree Drive Beechdale in the 1950s. I believe the Drive was built in the 30s and after a break for the war it was finished in 1946.

The lamposts on the Drive were of ornate cast iron Art Deco design painted corporation green and they were frequently climbed by the bigger lads as well as making great cricket wickets.

I see from Google Street View that they are mostly still there although the tops have been modified.

Until recently I thought these lamposts were confined to the area (there are some on Falstead Rd too) but of late I've been driving through Lambley Village and see there are some there too.

Does anyone know if there are others scattered around Nottingham?

The design suggests they were in vogue in the 1930s but after the war I think they must have been discontinued and those pre-cast concrete ones took over.

The one near Lambley's old Post Office can be seen here;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0007746,-1.0609845,3a,26.9y,120.27h,81.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9_iovg5esZAv8yKBuU1VOA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I would suspect that village people and councils etc..like to keep that old look,we used to tie rope up on the high crossbar and swing away!! They modified the tops later..you see them in reclaimers yards and they are pricey.

• 5 months later...

Hi Mess

When you lived on Elstree did you know the Longs (Ged & Elizabeth) ?

Hi FiftiesBoy,

Sorry for he delay. I've only just seen your post.

Yes I knew Gerald and Elizabeth Long. They were a couple of years younger than me and had an elder sister Nadeen. I think their dad had his own Electrical business.

I lived at number 23 from 1950-61. I think the Longs were at number 35

Did you live on the drive or go to Beechdale Primary perhaps?

• 1 month later...