Nottingham from above - Shakespeare Street

The map below also shows 'Bilby Street' between Goldsmith Street and Dryden Street which was replaced with a dog-legged set of steps now called Bilby Walk. This is on NTU land these days, hence the irritating amount of times the university closes this useful cut-through for various reasons, currently stalled building work that hasn't moved for months.

Bilbie Street when it was living. The road going across left-right is Shakespeare Street and going across the top is Goldsmith Street. On the left you can just see the edge of the old university buildings.

bilbie.jpg

And one of those amazing old three-wheeler Reliant vans.

• Like 1

A lot of people now illegally using it as a thoroughfare, Ray, you've maybe seen, as there is a big temporary electric sign outside the Arkwright building warning of the cameras now in place up Shakespeare Street barring entry.

I struggle with driving in that part of town, I think it will all be pedestrianized soon in order to keep the students safe.

I have driven down Shakespeare street, at about midnight, when there is something going on at Trent uni, not a pretty sight, I have also seen the same sort of behaviour in Nottingham uni.

I walk up and down Shakespeare Street regularly and would agree. The fact that it's now blocked off and Goldsmith Street is in effect too is wrong in my opinion but I can understand the former considering the amount of students milling around there now with such a lot of accommodation being built there.

Somebody stopped before the cameras on Shakespeare St the other day and asked me how to get to the railway station - had to think about that one for a minute. It's hopeless around there now.

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:20 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Bilbie Street when it was living. The road going across left-right is Shakespeare Street and going across the top is Goldsmith Street. On the left you can just see the edge of the old university buildings.

bilbie.jpg

And one of those amazing old three-wheeler Reliant vans.

That is a fascinating photograph. I can see St Andrew's church at the top, and that must be the Mason's hall to it's left.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, .... said:

Thanks for this image and maps on this and the other threads, K.

Interesting the site of the House of Refuge (Female) off Chaucer Street as there is a modern day Women's Centre providing some similar services almost on the same spot on Chaucer Street to this day.

Couple of observations on the original overhead image. The white area mentioned as a clearing for the Trent Poly Newton Building to come would not cover the whole area of that building, even before the recent modernisation I don't think. This is unless it was built that shape and extended later, I'm wondering if it was? The Newton Building and it's underground car park as was would have covered the area to the left of it up to where the old library can be seen on North Sherwood Street.

The map below also shows 'Bilby Street' between Goldsmith Street and Dryden Street which was replaced with a dog-legged set of steps now called Bilby Walk. This is on NTU land these days, hence the irritating amount of times the university closes this useful cut-through for various reasons, currently stalled building work that hasn't moved for months.

I'm also intrigued by the large mill building (I assume) at the bottom of the original image. Looks like it's pretty well on Clarendon Street which now has a line of mature town house buildings used for professional purposes.

goldsmith_1.jpg

Does anyone know what the buildings behind the Presbyterian Church facing onto Belgrave Square are?They look like houses. When I was a boy I remember peering over the wall behind the church on Belgrave Square - which by then was the church carpark - at a rubble strewn wasteland with what looked like an old factory behind it. This must have been the mid 70's.

Thanks. Where do you get these maps, this is a great one. They do look like houses and they must have been accessed from Belgrave Square. The younger me must have been looking over the cleared land once the houses had been pulled down.

Yes, you can see them on Britain From Above. The Belgrave Square houses were three-storey Victorian semis, set up above pavement level with a Bulwell stone-fronted wall. There were other similar houses in the same block between Chaucer/Goldsmith/Clarendon/Talbot Streets. They seemed largish residences, some may possibly have contained apartments, set amongst warehouses and factories, especially the dyers which would have been a bit smelly. Demolished mid-60s it would appear.

• Like 1

Rebecca came from Mansfield !

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

A slightly wider view of Belgrave Square...an ex-member works just down from here.50169-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgDavid A..i have some more snaps if desired ..ian.

I'd love to see more photos Ian. I must look into Britain From Above too.

• Like 1