Cliff Ton

Nottingham from above - Shakespeare Street

I am now remembering..that lots of houses were of 3 storey..with the configuration of kitchen on the ground floor and the others above...the lay of the land might have dictated this ..due to inclines on Clarendon st.rising up to Talbot St.55859-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgTaken by the late Reg..from the blind School..i forgot Lamberts could be accessed from Chaucer St.

• Like 1

This is near what i knew as Terrace Royal.50768-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgGoldsmith Square...giving an insight to some higher buildings behind.

Shakespeare Street..quite some time ago was the venue for Jewish hangings...most took place at the Forest/ Mansfield Rd.junction.

The Registery Office that was..was Nottms original Poor Laws building and the section between Moons and the YMCA was Angelo Terrace.64734-1-280-99999-unpad-1.jpgThe vantage point here being Gill Street ..more fine dwellings here took on Watts and lost.

I lived on neighbouring Alma Close..about 2 stone ago.

Not bringing any insight to the table I know. But would like to thank all that have contributed to this thread.

Really interesting stuff.

• Like 2

I presume taken in between weddings!62414-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg1960s Shakespeare and Bilbe St. viewed from the 1st floor of the Registry Office.Lamberts is top left.

There was a plaque mounted ..somewhere...recalling the date the Luftwaffe bombed and missed Aspley.

A somewhat tired looking Goldsmith St. viewed from Auburn Terrace.64014-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgPennyfeathers was over there.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, IAN123. said:

I am now remembering..that lots of houses were of 3 storey..with the configuration of kitchen on the ground floor and the others above...the lay of the land might have dictated this ..due to inclines on Clarendon st.rising up to Talbot St.55859-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgTaken by the late Reg..from the blind School..i forgot Lamberts could be accessed from Chaucer St.

Sorry. I'm a bit lost! Is that St Andrew's Church to the left of the houses?

• Like 1

I think it is the side elevation David.

Do you recall the square grassed quadrangle with basilicas?..it was near Belgrave Square..and lots of WW1 recovering men ..rested here.

No... I'm too young... and have a bad memory at the best of times! If the houses are on Chaucer Street, could it be the Patrick Spiritual Church shown on the detailed map last Thursday? On the far right of those houses I can see the tower of the factory on Talbot Street,

• Like 1

I am wrong David..sorry about that!

You are correct..think it was a Strict Baptist Church when i knocked about here.61312-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgOf course i omitted to give Geoffrey Trease a mention..who lived next door ,here.

• Like 1

Thanks. There is a lot of knowledge here on Nottstalgia (not much from me I should add). I hove to read stuff on here.

• Like 1

I am nearly sure The Albert Hotel..almost opposite the Cathedral..was a Temperance establishment also...back in the day.

Correct jonab...i recall the bottles of VAT 69 and Haig lined along a mirrored bar.55860-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgSome delightful residences in this whole area.

Two striking abodes on Chaucer St.here.

Was there a connection with a Professor and DH Lawrence on Clarendon St?