Did any of you ever go to Erricsons(renamed Plesseys) club at Beeston?

Saturday nights used to be good in the 60s.Good grog and plenty of dancing.

Does it still exist?

Baz :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Hi Bazza, yes I used to work at 'Ericson's' when it was Ericson's, so did use the club, must have been about 1964ish. Used to work in C7 making little components for the larger exchange racks. It was piece work and every time you got up speed and started to make a bit of dosn a bloke in a white coat would come along and up the rate. Didn't stay there long, slave labour, joined tha Army just after that - much better!

I recall visiting an Erricsons club somewhat earlier, perhaps 1950/51...as a kid aged about 8 or 9.

IIRC, it was located on Trafalgar?/Victory Road? in the Rylands.

Wasn't really a dancing club, more sing alongs to pianist style....

Children were allowed on the premises, provided they sat still with a zipped mouth!

My uncle lived on Grenville Road and worked at Ericcsons for decades, on some menial duties. Although no one at the club hardly seemed to know him he still strutted around as if he was 'management'....

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

I remember as a kid in the 60's going to a summer gala sports day at their beeston sports ground. It was Ericsons then.

One of their technicians had bult a wooden computer with nine valves

These lit up either O or X. You could play naughts and crosses with the box, but you could not win!

ttt_play.gif

http://www.pong-story.com/1952.htm

This was probaly the first computer that I ever saw, pretty impressive in those days.

Trafalgar Road it was Rob.I think it was 1965 when they changed the name to Plesseys.

I worked in the factory for about 2 years.I can't remember the number of the shop but we had a foreman called Jack Ryder I think.When I handed in my notice he offered to get me another tuppence an hour.What a joke. thumbsdown

• 2 years later...
I remember as a kid in the 60's going to a summer gala sports day at their beeston sports ground. It was Ericsons then.

One of their technicians had bult a wooden computer with nine valves

These lit up either O or X. You could play naughts and crosses with the box, but you could not win!

ttt_play.gif

http://www.pong-story.com/1952.htm

This was probaly the first computer that I ever saw, pretty impressive in those days.

I used to love the Sports Day at Plessey. You got a ticket for a free Ice Lolly and drink. The highlight of the Rylands Social Calander. My dad David Swift, used to work in the Stores at Plessy all his adult working life. Not sure if anyone remenbers him? Still lives in the Rylands

First time I ever had a 'late' night was down to "Ericssons". 11pm (I was all of 5 or 6 so it was a bragging point at school on the Monday.)

I had a couple of uncles who worked there and IMMSC we were having a family "Knees up"

Only been once to the new club which has been mentioned earlier [ Venture ] played bingo and there you could buy food too.....like Burger & Chips.....just what one needs while supping ones beer.....the smell of grease and urksome kids running everywhere..

Bip.

• 6 months later...

My 2 lads are respectively manager and assistant manager at New Venture club(formerly Ericsson, Plessey, Siemens) and from all accounts it won't be going much longer. HSBC who own the premises have told them they need the land for development and in consultation with Broxtowe council have offered to build a new club further down the Rylands on the football field which New Venture/Plessey own. It won't be the same

• 2 years later...

As an 11year old lad I can remember helping my dad to erect the first Ericsson social club in 1948 on Grassy Lane. My dad Tom worked in the stores at Ericsson for 24 years so I bet he new David Swift but sadly he's no longer here for me to ask. I served my apprenticeship at Ericsson and remember well the inter-departmental competition that was held annually between the departments, these being held in the club. The competition included darts, dominoes, cards(whist),billiards & snooker. They were friendly yet were a very competitive Knock out competition with a trophy being presented to the winning team.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 4/23/2006 at 7:22 AM, bazza said:

Did any of you ever go to Erricsons(renamed Plesseys) club at Beeston?

Saturday nights used to be good in the 60s.Good grog and plenty of dancing.

Does it still exist?

Yes I did I saw Karen carpenter and Bobby crush