Cobblers to Nottstalgia !

What do members do with worn shoes ?

Shoe repair ? In the bin ? If repaired where do you go, local cobbler if you have one or a national outfit like Timpson's ?

Had a pair of my shoes heeled about a month ago & the heel is wearing on one side already, cost me £10, don't know if it's better to bin em or repair em in future.

I guess it is like most things these days you just bin em and buy a new pair. Socks are no longer darned - most printers it is cheaper to buy a new one than have it repaired - the list goes on.

I guess with shoes it depends on the cost and if the soles and heels are able to be done

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1

https://www.yell.com/biz/three-star-shoe-service-nottingham-1459080/

Catfan I always take my shoes here for repair and have done for years. It is a family business and very reasonable prices. As the comments say it should be called Five Star Shoe Service because that is exactly what it is.

• Upvote 1

These days, there seems to be very few traditional cobblers that can actually do a durable repair for a reasonable price. I wouldn't take any shoes to Timpsons.

I've occasionally sent shoes back to the makers for a re-furb, pricey but they get properly re-built.

• Upvote 1

My shoes mostly are maker re-furb as they're Loakes or Church's for the most part. The cobbler in Bulwell arcade does a really good long-lasting sole and heel (Dunlop heel I think and Traction sole) which I had put on a cheaper pair a year or two ago. Felt really solid. Of course a seriously high proportion of footwear is trainers or cheap throwaway shoes these days so it's no wonder cobblers are a dying breed.

• Upvote 1

The last time I had shoes repaired it was by Cyril Henstock on Arkwright Street in the mid 70s.

Always been fussy about shoes, and bought leather. But its now almost impossible to find leather soles.

Now they just get chucked.

I still remember what Miss Slack told me at Trent Bridge Juniors, "Old shoes polish up the best"

In those days of course, all shoes had leather uppers.

• Upvote 1

Mick, nearly all my shoes have leather soles. Of course they're not cheap these days, but I do have pairs in good condition that are maybe 20 years old. It's the reason I return them to the manufacturer. I had a local cobbler resole a pair of Loakes and he fractionally missed the holes on the welt with the result that they quite literally fell to pieces a few weeks later.

Good shoes like 'Loakes' are always worth repairing,cheap shoes just bung em'........i've got a pair of Doc Martin shoes that i bought from a van shop in a lay-by near Bedford about 12 years ago £20,wore em for everything,eventually just used em for Gardening so for the last 5 yr often left in shed or on garden,anyway a few weeks ago thought i'd Polish em up,looked really good so now go to work in them again,Heels are a bit worn and don't think you can have em 'Cobbled' but 12 yr for 20 quid aint bad is it.

Got three pairs of quality shoes that i always have repaired up the 'Alley' in Bulwell,he's excellent and been going years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I always to wear leather Court shoes and because they were so comfortable I spent a fortune on continually having them soled and/or heeled rather than go through breaking in a new pair. I used to go on Arkwright St, they would have piles of shoes in brown paper bags waiting collection. I don't like these national chains that you get on the markets that are also key cutters and watch battery fitters!

Going off on a tangent re batteries, what happened to wind up watches? I had a 'Cinderella' watch for my 5th birthday, it was by Timex and they used to make Cinderella ones for girls and Hop-Along Cassidy for boys. My watch has been passed around the family to various cousins and their offspring as they have started to be able to tell the time and it is still going strong, it's nearly 60 years old. Over the years I have had countless battery watches....

• Upvote 1

DJ Brenton

Loakes are about £120 per pair nowadays. Mind you they will last you 20 years at least. I have a pair of brown brogues which are now a bit tatty, and have had many reincarnations of the foot bit (I wont make a pun about soles). The mrs tries to get me to throw them out.

Loakes do different ranges, they can be more expensive. They're not as good as they were though, same with most things. The shoes I find consistently good value are Crockett & Jones, although they aren't cheap. I threw a worn-out pair recently I bought in 1986.

Good reading this is, in the 70's I took my chockers to be repaired on Denman st. Later Bulwell, Loakes, veltschuen, church are a must.Quick story,after finishing overtime one evening, stood at bus stop on Manvers st. 3 black men ran out of a cobbler/ shoe shop..went in as I was worried, geezer was on the floor.. I rang old bill etc.. A few days later shopkeeper rang and asked me to come in.Duly paid him a visit and he offered me any pair of shoes in the shop,by way of thanks,not wanting to be rude I said that nothing in stock would suit me.He got out a brochure and told me to pick a pair. I chose a planished ox- blood officers shoes size 8: a week later they arrived from Northampton in a timber box marked ' ww1 army officer shoe'.. Price? This was '87...£114.00!! Solid leather..still have them.

To save our Cobblers...........never wear Trainers or Flip Flops......i feel ready for anything....as long as i'm wearing Stout shoes,

Along with Tight Vest and Underpants that hug,......lol.

In the 60s my mum used to take my shoes to be repaired at Goodwins on Berridge Road. My friend and I used to put segs in the heels because we liked the clicking sound as you walked. Later on when Beatle boots were in fashion with their cuban heels I used to get Mr Goodwin to but steel edged heels on and people could hear you coming for miles.

Off on holiday on Sunday and am in the process of sorting my clothes out to take with me,Wife says i'm a 'Bleddy nightmare',she don't know yet i'm taking me 'Doc Martin' shoes to wear with my shorts.

I;m packing in main case, me Cuff-links and Arm bands,she go Bananas when she finds out,last time it was bedlum going thru check in wearing em'

• Upvote 1