Cobblers to Nottstalgia !

Thanks Mess,but i only wear Tone-Tee vests and Hankies in Top pocket (silk) as for Tank Top i'll consider that,......... :biggrin:

When I was a kid we took our shoes to be mended to a cobbler on Carlton hill ,Mr Stone,he was deaf so you had to point to the part of the shoe that you wanted mending,he made a bleddy good job of it and the repair lasted about a year.

Don't forget your spats and suspenders Benjamin !

• Upvote 1

I always remember a cobbler on St Anns Well Road in the 50s & 60s, he was a Polish survivor from Aushwitz concentration camp his name was Jon Garkovisious (sp) Nice bloke english very poor, he drove a three wheeled Bond !

A few years ago I had a spell of being bonkers (Clincally depressed). The first sign of this was the almost obsessive bulling of my leather workshoes. I would bull them up several times a day until I built up a layer of polish like a crust and could literally see my face in them - as per my days in the forces many years ago. Carry on, sergeant!

• Upvote 2
  • 3 years later...

Cobblers I remember. 

Alfreton road opposite Gagg's motorbike shop (near Newdigate st)

This was our regular cobbler.

West side of Broad street, opposite Lord Roberts.

Bottom of Hucknall road. A small lockup  between the bank on the corner of Mansfield Rd and a row of shops on Hucknall rd.

Nuthall Rd between Whitemoor Avenue and Western Blvd. This was a stand alone lock-up wooden shop.

Aspley lane near Amersham rise, this business relocated from the Commodore shops when the commodore was refurbished and the local bank closed.

On 10/1/2015 at 7:05 PM, benjamin1945 said:

.....i've got a pair of Doc Martin shoes that i bought from a van shop in a lay-by near Bedford about 12 years ago £20,wore em for everything,eventually just used em for Gardening so for the last 5 yr often left in shed or on garden,anyway a few weeks ago thought i'd Polish em up,looked really good so now go to work in them again,Heels are a bit worn and don't think you can have em 'Cobbled' but 12 yr for 20 quid aint bad is it.

Posted the above over 4 years ago.............couple of weeks ago took the same shoes to the same Cobbler for a bit of 'Stitching''..........been out and about this morning,, wearing em............they just don't wear out !!!

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

they just don't wear out !!!

Like you eh mate?  thumbsup

Rog

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my favourite mountain boots to the local cobbbler. The daft bogger managed to stitch right through the inner waterproof membrane and rendered the boots useless in damp conditions.

That reminds me of the story of the soldier that took some shoes in to be soled and heeled just before the war started. He was shipped off to Singapore before he could go back to the cobblers and pick up his shoes. He was captured at the fall of Singapore and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner on the Burma railway. Having survived that he was repatriated an eventually demobed. He returned home and after a few days decided to get out his suit and go for a few drinks. He tried on his suit to see if it still fitted and in the pocket found the cobblers ticket which got him to thinking if the cobbler and his shoes were still there. Off he went and sure enough the cobblers shop was still there and it was the same man that ran the business. He handed over the ticket and the cobbler looked at it and wandered off into the back of the shop and after a while came back to the counter with a pair of shoes that the amazed soldier immediately recognised as his. He asked the cobbler "How much do I owe you", the cobbler replied "half a crown and they'll be ready on Thursday"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

And if anyone locally is in need of a cobbler, I can recommend “The Sherwood Cobbler” on Haydn Road, at the Sherwood end. Proper, traditional, shoe repairer, and very competitively priced. Had my walking boots resoled there recently. As good as new.