Saving A Situation

I've just read a very good book, 'Greasepaint & Cordite', which describes the role of ENSA and other groups who entertained the troops during WWII. There are many tales and my favourite is of Tommy Cooper who on guard duty one night fell asleep as he stood leaning on his rifle. The duty officer and sergeant came and found him in this position. Cooper saw them through half closed eyes, thought quickly and saying, 'Amen' opened his eyes. He got away with it. Anyone else done such a thing?

• Upvote 5

Was once caught shall we say........... '.inflagrante delicto'.........and all icould muster was...........'allwhite'...(.al la Del-boy). :biggrin:

A chap I was in the RAF with could fall asleep standing up. He would just be standing by his vice or bench and looking quite normal but fast asleep. He once slept through a CO's inspection. I wonder if he suffered from narcolepsy?

• Upvote 1

I have heard about that happening. The snoozer would grip his overall in the jaws of the vice, to stop him falling over.

I dozed for a while during an electronics exam back in 1988. I had three hours for the exam but had finished in just over half an hour. I was convinced that I had done something wrong so I went through the paper once again. After one hour I was bored and dozing so I got up and left, The invigilator asked if I was sure I wanted to leave? Had I checked all my work? Was I sure I had answered all the questions properly? I scored a distinction for that exam! As it happened, most of the questions had been used in previous exams and I had spent some time beforehand studying past papers.

:sleeping:

• Upvote 3

Its an odd thing but I can sleep with my eyes open.

In the army it was invaluable, but it did creep a few of the lads out. On exercise, where sleep is precious, I would be there with my eyes open, looking over whatever the lads were doing, but fast asleep. It looked like I was staring. An unwavering unblinking stare, for hours, until I started to dream, where it got seriously weird. Eyeballs going everywhere...... One corporal described it in the post exercise debriefing as something like the movie, the exorcist.

• Upvote 2