Denis Healey

In 1964 the British aircraft industry was working on three advanced projects, even the Americans had nothing to equal them. Healey cancelled them all and from that date on the British aircraft industry went downhill - it will reach the bottom in the not-to-distant future.

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with you Chulla, not only did Healey cancel the world beating TSR2, but he ordered all the drawings and jigs destroyed.

He was a regular attendee at Bilderberg Group meetings.

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like Denis Healey.

I thought he was arrogant and out-of-touch throughout most of his life.

A lot of the decisions he made as chancellor were just plain wrong.

And yes, he was a major player in the Bildeburg group - probably even one of its architects and you can't get more elitist than that organisation. It being the absolute epitome of 'politics is too important for democracy to get in the way'.

Still, 98 was a good innings.

R.I.P.

• Upvote 1

Never liked him..... The wrong affiliation for me!

I stupidly voted Labour in the 1964 General Election. Hell will freeze over before I vote for them again. This cartoon from the cover of Air Pictorial.

Air%20Pictorial%20cover_zpsf42ws6s5.jpg

• Upvote 5

Well he had a good innings.......

You are right, PP, the Conservatives are now as bad a Labour. That is why for the last three general elections I have voted for UKIP.

don't forget wno gave us the NHS & the Welfare State Chulla.

It wasn't Healey, that was a Welshman Aneurin Bevan.

I was once in an elevator with Dennis Healey in Stockton-on-Tees and his eyebrows were all consuming, almost scary!

I'm well aware who was the driving force behind the NHS in the 1945 government.

All I was trying to say was it was a Labour Government that gave us the NHS & Not a Conservative one

BeestonMick,

I don't think Bubblewrap was referring directly to Denis Healey being the founder of the NHS but the Labour Party. His flippant remark was directed at Chulla for posting he stupidly voted for the Labour Party in 1964.

• Upvote 1