Marooned with a Dansette.

Fly2's selection of The Animals , We Got to Get Out of This Place is on topic as it was the first single by the group using Dave Rowberry from Mapperley as keyboard player . He replaced Alan Price .

Before that as a teenager ,Dave Rowberry broke my space -gun !!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian, thanks for bending the rules, you should be careful though for suggesting such a thing, your post could get deleted LOL. I will take one of my Tamla Motown singles, it's my all time favourite.

If I were stranded on a desert island listening to most of the above, I would welcome a loaded revolver to put an end to it all. lol

Oh! I could go for that But in H.D. & slow motion

Exactly Michael, but we didn't have the joy of the internet in the early 60's. I read all the music weeklies, NME and Melody Maker. I also talked to the guy who had the second hand record stall on Central Market. I learned a lot from him, and as I said earlier, I would buy all stuff on the London Atlantic and Pye International labels.

Then as I delved deeper, I would buy early albums on the Chess and Sue labels. I especially remember the Sue Story Vols 1and 2.

I then began to try and dress like the English blues musicians. Desert boots, faded flares, black T shirt, and either a Levi denim jacket, or Wrangler cord jackets. Although I did treat myself to an olive green Levi suede, and a Wrangler bottle green suede jacket, but they rapidly became scruffy which suited me.

I was made up one night in Mecca Village ( Trowell Services) after a heavy night and my mate said to me that I resembled an old bluesman. Success !!!!

Ive been everything, pretend playboy , scruff, mod, hippie, everything

I like that image fly,I have a John Mayall Lp where they are reading the Beano(?) a great look. Here are 5 more for my thread!

Sixty minute man- billy ward & the dominoes.

House of blue lights- Merrill Moore.

Hound dog- big mama Thornton.

Bambalam- the dudu droppers.

One monkey don't stop no show- stick mcghee & his buddies.

ENJOY!!

If I couldn't take my entire Tamla Motown collection then I couldn't take any, I would have to put them in storage until I returned home.

So the five I would take, all of which I have very fond memories of, are.

THE RIGHT TRACK........................BILLY BUTLER

NOTHING CAN STOP ME..............GENE CHANDLER

BOOGALOO No.3...........................ROY LEE JOHNSON

A LITTLE PIECE OF LEATHER......DONNIE ELBERT

STAY CLOSE TO ME......................FIVE STAIRSTEPS AND CUBIE

• Upvote 1

Ian, thanks for bending the rules, you should be careful though for suggesting such a thing, your post could get deleted LOL.

I will take one of my Tamla Motown singles, it's my all time favourite. Even after nearly 50 years this record is still magic to me and no matter how many cover versions this one is still the tops. I even liked Rod Stewarts version but nothing gets close to:

THE ISLEY BROS. THIS OLD HEART OF MINE (IS WEAK FOR YOU)

• Upvote 6

What an old romantic Robbie!!!!!

• Upvote 1

@ Micheal Booth. Re: #52. Michael, thanks for your kind comments. I entirely agree that the Stones brought blues to popular attention in the UK and in fact they also played a large part in revealing indiginous black music to white audiences in the USA. That said I think we shouldn't overlook the contributions of others. The Yardbirds, Alexis Korner's Blues Inc., John Mayall (though never really to my taste) and many others all contributed. Also, the likes of Davy Graham, John Renbourn and Bert Jansch all brought us elements of 'Folk Blues'.

The first LP I ever bought, in '62/3 was Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated . 'R& B from the Marquee'. I still have it. It featured songs from Muddy Waters and other blues luminaries and really got me interested, although I doubt I'd have known about it had I not heard it played at the High Pavement Jazz Record Club. And all of this was happening several years before the big Brit Blues explosion which featured the likes of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, The Jeff Beck Band etc., etc. Even Tull were basically a blues band when I saw them at the Boat around '67.

My recollection is of being totally blown away the first time I heard Elmore James' 'Dust My Broom'. He recorded numerous versions of it, plus many other songs which were essentially built around the same riff. I've still got my copy of a budget LP. 'The Late, Fantastically Great Elmore James'. Others which 'grabbed' me early in the 60's were things like Tommy Tucker's 'Hi Heel Sneakers', Howlin' Wolf's 'Smokestack Lightnin', and Slim Harpo's 'King Bee' but I think anyone who'd heard stuff by Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley from the late 50s on, or even some of the stuff by Elvis and Holly,, was already 'primed' for the blues.

Also, as Fly points out, we didn't have the internet back then. Even if anything like obscure American blues actually got released here, it was often quickly 'deleted' from catalogues and became incredibly difficult to get hold of. I think most of the knowledge of this stuff in the UK at the time was with really keen jazz/blues/R&B fans who were generally older than me and the learning process was pretty slow. You picked up snippets here and there. And all of this was happening whilst I was also being distracted by Merseybeat, Folk, Stax/Atlantic/Motown etc., Modern Jazz, Classical, 40s Swing, etc., etc.

It's all good!

Col

• Upvote 2

Spot on Col ! By 15, I was primed and ready !

Do Unto Me................................................James and Bobby Purify

Aint No Reason For Girls To Be Lonely.....Bobby Marchan

At The Discotheque...................................Chubby Checker

Shing A Ling Stroll.....................................Eddie Wilson

I Thank You...............................................Sam and Dave

And I will slip in a Motown record as well

Uptight ............................. .......................Stevie Wonder

• Upvote 1

You lucky man Robbie,BlackBerry Way reminds me of two bikers next door,one a scooter man and the other a greebo.Around '68 they used to take me on a Vilias for a spin. Some years later I bought Message from the Country on harvest label from a junk shop on Beech Avenue.cherry blossom clinic is just mad.Soul music up to '74 is top quality and have now amassed loads of stax and sue stuff,having missed so much of this early on- I now enjoy my music even more now,than when I was 17.Chubbys at the discothèque is unreal!!

#69. Ian,

The first record I bought by Chubby Checker was Lets Twist Again, I was still at junior school but the girl I fancied was into this new dance craze. I never liked the song but l liked her. I preferred Pony Time or Cuma La Be Stay. I missed out first time round on buying At the Discotheque so had to pay £5 when it was deleted and second hand, a lot of money at the time. Some time later it was stolen, I was gutted.

I have a few artists on the old red and yellow Sue label, Donnie Elbert, Inez and Charlie Foxx, Ike and Tina Turner, Baby Washington, The Duals plus a few more.

I remember the shop on Beech Avenue, bought a few records on blue Stax very cheap. Do you remember the second hand shop on Radford Road close to Eland Street? Got loads of soul LP's from him cheap.

I agree Dave, a brilliant track.

Have you heard her classic That's How Heartaches Are Made?

She is not my favourite black female singer but some of her stuff is very good.

Is she still alive? If she is she must be getting on a bit.

#70 love this stuff Robbie,I don't recall the shop on Radford rd.when I started collecting records,the fun started on Bentinck rd.just up from the Windmill pub on the same side was a great shop that sold rare vhs films and juke box singles going back to 1965-66, plus another secondhand record shop near a butchers, just on the corner of Cromwell st ( had a French girlfriend on Cromwell st!!) And you had music inn and sounds good. Must have blown thousands on records!! Women got the house and cars- I got to keep the records!! " Cool Jerk" by the Capitols was bought in mint condition for 10 p on Peveril st..from a junk shop..happy days indeed.

#70 love this stuff Robbie,I don't recall the shop on Radford rd.when I started collecting records,the fun started on Bentinck rd.just up from the Windmill pub on the same side was a great shop that sold rare vhs films and juke box singles going back to 1965-66, plus another secondhand record shop near a butchers, just on the corner of Cromwell st ( had a French girlfriend on Cromwell st!!) And you had music inn and sounds good. Must have blown thousands on records!! Women got the house and cars- I got to keep the records!! " Cool Jerk" by the Capitols was bought in mint condition for 10 p on Peveril st..from a junk shop..happy days indeed.

Guys. I went with it at the time,. but I really can't listen to 'Chubby's 'At The Discotheque', any more. It is just so wrong.

'Discotheque', is simply not pronounced 'Diskotay'. :)

Col