Marooned with a Dansette.

DJ360 (#65), I've posted some of those songs you mentioned on the 'Listening To The Blues' thread. 'Dust My Broom' was also the first Elmore James recording that I'd heard and, like yourself, I was totally blown away and spent that day searching for more stuff by him. When I stated in an earlier post that I'd searched the Internet for Blues music that had influenced the Rolling Stones it was obvious that I meant a lot later on. There was a mountain of stuff that was written about the Rolling Stones at the time and they even had their own fans mag. I've still got all those in the loft..lol.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian, thanks for bending the rules, you should be careful though for suggesting such a thing, your post could get deleted LOL. I will take one of my Tamla Motown singles, it's my all time favourite.

If I were stranded on a desert island listening to most of the above, I would welcome a loaded revolver to put an end to it all. lol

Oh! I could go for that But in H.D. & slow motion

#76,swe62. Laughing!!!, Laughing!!!, you are supposed to cry. Me and the missus are choking up when she sings.

Marooned on a desert island with a Dansette, the 5 records I'd choose, away from my obvious Blues, Rock 'N' Roll/Rockerbilly choices, would be:

'Kids In America' - Kim Wilde.

'Friday On My Mind' - The Easybeats.

'Go Your Own Way' - Fleetwood Mac.

'Out Of Time' - Chris Farlowe.

'Pretty Vacant' - The Sex Pistols.

EVERY version of Carpenter is brilliant. Such a poignant song. RIP Tim Hardin.

• 3 months later...

This Old Heart of Mine (is weak for you) – Isley Brothers

Rock My Plimsoul – Jeff Beck Group (ft Rod Stewart)

Love the One You’re With – Stephen Stills

I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) – Four Tops

Keep on Running – Spencer Davis Group

My 5 records would be;

POGUES Fairy Tale Of New York reminds me of Christmas

POGUES Rainy night in Soho reminds me of England

PAUL ROBESON Old Man River reminds me I have a long way to go

THE KILKENNYS Jug of Punch so I don't forget what drink is like

THE KILKENNYS Could Not Come At A Better Time the ship that takes me home

just one more

THE POGUES ------Parting Glass

Mary, the Pogues were on BBC4 last night in a compilation of BBC films from TOTP, Old Grey Whistle Test, and other programmes feature duets. They sang something about Christmas. But what (mildly) interested me was a duet where folk singer Julie Felix and Leonard Cohen both sat on stools, strummed guitars and sang a romantic duet. Never heard Cohen like that before.

• Upvote 1

I watched that programme, and really enjoyed it. My favorite had to be Shirley Bassey and Neil Diamond singing Play Me. You could almost read their minds it was very very romantic.

Talk about "Eye Contact"

Here we go. I'm an old romantic. With one song to play when I feel like a bit of crazy dancing.

He Was Beautiful by Cleo Laine

Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler

Always On My Mind by Elvis Presley

As Long As He Needs Me by Shirley Bassey

The Twist by Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys.

What a wonderful world Satchmo

This Guys in love with you Herp Albert

Whiter Shade of Pale Procul Harem

Light my fire Lulu

Fools rush in Elvis

edit. sorry got to have 6...................Arthurs Theme.................Christopher Cross

• 4 weeks later...

Go it Alone....... Jason Isbell.

Long Misty Days........ Robin Trower.

I'll Be Holding On........ Gregg Allman.

Shadowplay......... Rory Gallagher.

Still in love with you........ Thin Lizzy.

I appreciate that our personal tastes alter almost daily depending on our moods, so here's this weeks renditions.

Tis an all time great Loppy,............much ass sqeezing to it..............would have played it on me 'Bush'.......slightly more up-market than a 'Dansette'

• Upvote 2

Tis an all time great Loppy,............much ass sqeezing to it..............would have played it on me 'Bush'.......slightly more up-market than a 'Dansette'

My record player was a Bush too. You could get a matching front speaker for it that plugged in to make it stereo. I couldn't afford that bit though, so had to make do with mono only.

• Upvote 1

Neither could i TBI....................But i was quite talented at 'Squeezing'......in mono or stereo..........

• Upvote 1

It is really hard to pick just five but here is my list

Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum

Leaving on A Jet Plane - Peter Paul and Mary

City of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie

Morning - Peer Gynt - Edvard Grieg

Concierto de Aranjuez - The Shadows or Grimethorpe Colliery Band - Joaquin Rodrigo

• 1 month later...

My next door neighbour's daughter was visiting last week from California. She was telling me that she listens to Desert Island Discs on i-player. I was gobsmacked, for one thing never realised you could do that and also that she enjoyed it so much when she didn't really know most of the folks who were picking the discs. She said it was great, as they all had interesting stories to tell and it was a great mix of music.

• Upvote 1