Marooned with a Dansette.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ian, thanks for bending the rules, you should be careful though for suggesting such a thing, your post could get deleted LOL. I will take one of my Tamla Motown singles, it's my all time favourite.

If I were stranded on a desert island listening to most of the above, I would welcome a loaded revolver to put an end to it all. lol

Oh! I could go for that But in H.D. & slow motion

Valuer Jim #124

Sorry everyone don't know where I got six from. I thought it was from Desert Island discs but checked and found out that they chose eight. Suitably admonished I'll confine future ramblings to five.

Was that the Runaway Train remembered from Children's Favourites "and she blew, blew, blew, blew, blew" or one of the many other songs with the same title?

#133 That's very kind of you Michael. Thank you. I tend to compare myself with some very young folks on You Tube who are very talented and seemed to have learned a lot quicker than me. I tend to forget that I am fifty odd years older than them when I started and sometimes tend forget what I'm doing in the middle of doing it. :biggrin:

I want to play some of the most beautiful and complicated works that Bach wrote. I often download stuff and print it out and when I show it to my teacher he will say as diplomatically as he can. "Maybe you'd better hold off trying that one for a while."

All things being equal I doubt I even have enough time left now to learn what I would like.

I do have the sheet music to whiter Shade of Pale. The instrumental lines are very Bach like. I'm a bit undecided whether it is most like Air on the G string or "Mitt steh in Einem Fuss in Grabe" From a Bach Cantata. Rough English translation. "I stand With One Foot in the Grave." :huh: Nice cheerful title.

When I have all three down reasonably well I plan to compare them and let you judge.

"Whiter Shade" did a lot to stimulate my interest in Bach when it came out in the 60s. I knew it was Bach like, just couldn't figure which Bach piece. Took a while.

• Upvote 1

The same, Oz. A Childrens Favourites favourite. Along with Nellie the Elephant, The Laughing Policeman, Little Red Monkey, Teddy Bears Picnic, and Little White Duck.

Jim,

Wow those were a blast from the past, strange how a little prompt sends me back 50+ years and I can still remember the words.

The Laughing Policeman reminded me of those machines at the seaside amusement arcades that played the laugh with a rather rotund policeman rocking about inside.

Can I have five more please? For grandads who have the time to enjoy with their grandchildren what they lacked with their own children, to their lasting regret:

Cat's in the cradle - Harry Chapin

The Circle Game - Tom Rush

Father and Son - Cat Stevens

The Living Years - Mike and the Mechanics

Scarlet Ribbons - Harry Belafonte

And to cheer me up again

Sit Down - James

Love and Affection - Joan Armatrading

Fun Fun Fun - Beach Boys

Eight Days a Week - Beatles

The Weight - The Band

• 1 month later...

Songs on a theme of Buses

Transport of Delight - Flanders and Swan - London Transport Red Bus

Bus Stop - The Hollies

The Greyhound Bus Song - St Lennox

Wheels on the Bus - Children's Song

The Country Bus - Colin Pitts - Memories of Midland Red Buses

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd do one about bicycles, and yes I remembered only to do 5

Push Bike Song - The Mixtures

Les Bicyclettes de Belsize - Engelbert Humperdinck

Bicycle Race - Queen

Bicycle Built for Two - Nat King Cole

My White Bicycle - Nazareth

Now Motorbikes

Devils Lullaby - Cant remember who did the original but known as The Bikers Theme Song a great driving or riding song. Play at full volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_4xNTBL0EY&index=4&list=PLBF634855A21CD2F6

Motorcycle Song - Arlo Guthrie

Leader of the Pack - The  Shangri-Las

Rockin' at the Ace Café - The Sabrejets

Harley Davidson Blues - Canned Heat

Oops - You barstewards have done it again. I'll cop it when the leader of the opposition gets home as I've just spent two hours playing some great music but haven't started on the job I was supposed to do. Never mind there is always tomorrow.

How about one for trains....

Southern Streamline........ John Fogerty.

Train, Train....... Blackfoot.

Rock & Roll Train........ AC / DC

Great Central Revisited...... Kimberley Rew

Crash This Train........ Joshua James.

• Upvote 1

Good one Fly I did one on trains #120

Here is a few more with more of a folksy theme

Last Train to Dobcross - Oldham Tinkers

Blackpool Belle - The Houghton Weavers

Settle to Carlisle Railway - Mike Donald

Stalybridge Station - Fivepenny Piece

Beside a Railway Line - Penny Davies and Roger Ilott

Oh my, some good Lancashire and Yorkshire stuff there. Love the S & C. I was up there last week at Gargrave. 

Few more trains:

She wrote it.

More coming..