The Senior Citizen

Senior citizens are constantly being criticised for every conceivable deficiency of the modern world, real or imaginary.

We know we take responsibility for all we have done and do not blame others.

However,upon reflection, we would like to point out that it was NOT the senior citizens who took: -

The melody out of music,

The pride out of appearance,

The courtesy out of driving,

The romance out of love,

The commitment out of marriage,

The responsibility out of parenthood,

The togetherness out of the family,

The learning out of education,

The service out of patriotism,

The Golden Rule from rulers,

The nativity scene out of cities,

The civility out of behavior,

The refinement out of language,

The dedication out of employment,

The prudence out of spending,

The ambition out of achievement or

God out of government and school.

And we certainly are NOT the ones who eliminated patience and tolerance from personal relationships and interactions with others!!

And, we do understand the meaning of patriotism, and remember those who have fought and died for our country.

Just look at the Seniors with tears in their eyes and pride in their hearts as they stand at attention with their hand over their hearts!

YES, I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!

I'm the life of the party..... Even if it lasts until 8 p.m.

I'm very good at opening childproof caps..... With a hammer.

I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.

I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.

I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.

I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.

I'm beginning to realise that aging is not for wimps.

Yes, I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN and I think I am having the time of my life!

Spread the laughter - Share the cheer - Let's be happy - While we're here.

• Upvote 19

Good post Trevor, like most of us on here I assume, I am SOOO angry that we are now being classed as the evil ones who have stolen the life from everyone under 30. When we were in our teens we were being blamed for all that was wrong in society, and now in my dotage I am still reviled, just take the recent rantings of the Taxpayers Alliance as an example.

• Upvote 6

In our day everyone who was able worked for a living. These days many just put out their hands and say "Give!" We seniors owe no-one anything; we have all paid into the tax system for 50 years and all paid our NI contributions. What is this new fangled idea that we owe folk simply because they exist?

• Upvote 10

For most of my working life I was paying tax at the rate of 25% and I'm sure I remember it being even higher when I first started work. I also paid NI at something like 7%. Don't know about NI but tax is much less these days....perhpas a return to 25% would ease the financial situation somewhat and keep folk off the backs of the elderly.

• Upvote 2

I was on he tram last Thursday going into town two schoolgirls were playing loud music on the phone a chap asked them if they would turn it down he then suffered continual verbal abuse for the rest of the trip and guess where the schoolgirls got off The girls high school standards have certainly gone downhill these days meeowed

• Upvote 2

During my last year at work I used the bus rather than car. One day some schoolkids were making a racket and playing loud music on the bus so the driver asked them to turn it down. He got a mouthful of abuse from the kids but then used his secret weapon.....He turned off the bus engine and said that the bus was going no further until they turned off the racket and sat down. They immediately sat down and shut up.

• Upvote 4

I have just reached 70 and have never felt like a senior citizen, I have even given my seat up on the bus to someone who I feel is less fortunate than me...............I must have been lucky, the last last few years I feel as though I have been treated well by the younger generation, I have always been offered a seat on the bus and have been treated well in shops, queues, surgeries etc... their loud music and phone calling has never bothered me, I love watching them, it brings back memories from when I was young, energetic and enterprising, they are not all bad, I know people from the older generation with worse manners..... ..........No complaints from me..........

• Upvote 5

I've just turned 70, physically I feel 50, mentally about 19.

Less hair, some grey, the odd wrinkle and less tolerant, but I still love my LOUD music. Had tinnitus for over 20 years but who cares !

• Upvote 3

Talking of culture, I love looking and sometimes buying clothes from Fat Face, Quicksilver and other establishments that started off producing surfing and skateboarding clothing. I'm still into crazy T shirts, but am careful where I wear them these days.

Tie Dies...... Never bettered.

• Upvote 1

The ageing process starts at birth, how we apply it to our daily lives depends on the individual......I accept that youth equals vitality and optimism but what the hell, just got my tickets for Jess Glynne at the roundhouse, my gear from Camden market, red Lippy from jessops, now forgot where I put my bus pass !!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

I work at the garden centre at our local B&Q, a none ageist company, well, at least down here.

A couple of weeks ago I was cycling in, as I do everyday, on our myriad of cycle paths, when I came across a couple of gross, overweight, teenage dickheads waddling down the middle of the cycle path. I cycled around them and said nothing, one of them said, 'Ere, you old man, you c===, what are you playing at, you nearly ran us over'.

I stopped, pointed to the bike symbol painted on the path and politely explained that they were walking down the middle of a cycle path. Noooo..... that didn't work, they got all threatening, so I explained again, noooo, even more abuse. In the end I got off my bike and, well, made it clear what I was prepared to do to them. Nothing said, until I cycled off then I got verbal threats, f......, we'll get you, all the old threatening rubbish when you're out their space, cowardly filth, I haven't seen them since, if I do they might find themselves in hospital.

The next day I was cycling home and came across all the local schoolkids walking home down the middle of the cycle path, what a contrast, they were so polite and apologetic and got out the way, I thanked them for it, deservedly so.

The world has always been full of evil, cowardly scum who take it out on older people, we have to accept that, sometimes they pick on the wrong person, stand up for yourselves, screw the Law, they won't help you until it's too late, I've had experience of that.

• Upvote 7

I still listen to Radio Caroline. Although they still have the ship, they mostly use the internet for transmissions these days, using the ship as an occasional treat. I tune in via the internet and then transmit the signal to my FM radios around the house and in the garden.

You be careful Ian, intelligent conversation is frowned upon these days. They'll think that you're some kind of perv.

• Upvote 1

Just spent a really enjoyable week celebrating my 70th, I've had so many Apple products its a wonder I don't have 'bellyache.' I think the kids have been spending their inheritance before I've let go of it.

All this technology keeps me feeling young and in touch, the grandkids can talk to me and my eyes don't glaze over. Today I woke feeling great with all my music playing on my new speakers.

THEN the post arrived, only two items today (1) A letter from Saga offering travel insurance to people with pre-existing medical conditions and a flyer from a local funeral director. Have they, been trawling birth records, or hopefully not, contacted a clairvoyant.

Binned the post and now playing some Clapton and Dylan tracks on my toys.

• Upvote 10