G'Day from Oztalgian

Finally decided to join in after bimbling around on this great site, learning so much about the history of our county town, in older times, within living memory and current day and to see if I can contribute to what is a great social history site.

I came from a pit village in north Notts and never lived in Nottingham itself, but was a regular visitor to see the Reds and enjoy the nightlife. I worked at COD Chilwell for a while.

Emigrated to Oz 40 years ago and still get back occasionally to see the good and bad of what the city, towns and villages in Nottinghamshire have become.

Thanks to google street view and the web I can still visit the Queen of the Midlands and the rest of the county when ever I want to.

• Upvote 3

G;day Oztalgian, this is a fabulous site and I love a trip down memory lane looking at the photos and maps that are posted! It's also lovely to share fond memories of school days, clubs etc. Welcome and I am sure you will soon become addicted like me :)

Welcome to Nottstalgia Oztalgian. You have done the right thing by joining us on this brilliant site. We are always ready to read new accounts of peoples Nottingham memories and experiences and I'm sure you will enjoy your time spent discovering the interesting posts from Nottstalgians already members. :)

Welcome Oztalgian, I used to work near Mansfield. Was that near where you used to live? Hope you'll enjoy contributing to Nottstalgia as you share your memories

Welcome to this wonderful site Oztalgian. Look forward to hearing your memories from your time spent in Nottinghamshire and as others have said you will soon get addicted with so many diverse topics to discuss.

Nice to see that you support the " Reds"

Gday Oztalgian and welcome.

i am ex Radford but benn in Oz now for 50 years. this is a great way to keep in touch with things back home and also to learn more about your birthplace.

Cheers.

#9. I worked at Harlow Wood hospital from September 1960 till 1963, living-in there from early 1961. I suppose that was before your time (most people on here are a bit younger than me!). But once you get beyond a certain age, the difference in years isn't quite as apparent anyway - at least that's what I reckon!!

• Upvote 1

#9 Margie H

I had just entered my teenage years when you worked at Harlow Wood. If I remember correctly it was the orthopedic hospital and seemed to do a lot of corrective surgery on patients that had contracted polio.

It must have been a lonely place to "live in" as it was a bit isolated with the only direct buses going to Mansfield or Nottingham (Trent buses, I think)

#15. Oztalgian

Yes, it was an orthopaedic hospital and did do corrective treatment/surgery on polio patients, but also those with TB in their bones who were treated with splints to immobilise the affected bone, while giving various medications for around 2 years. I remember one little chap who was permanently in a spinal frame. He was only 2 or 3 years old. The children were in the hospital for so long that they had school lessons in there.

You say it must have been lonely living-in..... actually it was anything but lonely with lots of nurses in the same place, and we all had a great social life! As you said, we were on the bus route to Mansfield and Nottingham and there were plenty of places there to spend (or mis-spend) our free time!

Can you remember much about Mansfield? It's quite a bit different now....