It seems some places are not accepting cheques now.When I was a youngster I remember mam sending me to a shop and they would cash a cheque for you ,don't know how this worked though.Can anyone else remember doing this? I wonder how it could work if it had your name on.

In them good old days, cheques were not automatically crossed "A/c Payee" and you could sign your name on the back which gave the ability for anyone to whom the cheque was then given could present this at their own bank for encashment.

Never had a cheque book until I was 27, when I started working for a company that paid us monthly. That was 1975.

Even today, we rarely use cheques, just cash.

Mostly debit now, and pay utilities etc online. Always use cash in restaurants. I don't like to let my credit card out of my sight. Don't like to carry a lot of cash though. Rarely ever more than $100. Still pay insurance companies by check. I like a cancelled check as proof I paid their premiums.

• Upvote 1

Yes the cheques / checks thing is a Brit/US English thing along with color vs colour, center vs centre and many others I can't even think of just now. I tend to use spelling based on who I'm writing to, but I often forget to.

• Upvote 1

I've added this before, not only Americans alter the spellings over the years, so does British spellings alter over the years too.

Up to the early part of the 20th century, COAL was spelled as COLE or COLES, even Brits have altered the spelling of cheques from it's original spelling....I've even seen Brits spelling theatre as THEATER, so lets not get picky over how words have evolved, go to a national library and pull out texts from the 14th century, you'd think you were looking at a foreign language, but no, it's English as was spelled back then.

The printing press standardized, or should I say bastardized the spelling of words.

• Upvote 1

I've added this before, not only Americans alter the spellings over the years, so does British spellings alter over the years too.

Up to the early part of the 20th century, COAL was spelled as COLE or COLES, even Brits have altered the spelling of cheques from it's original spelling....I've even seen Brits spelling theatre as THEATER, so lets not get picky over how words have evolved, go to a national library and pull out texts from the 14th century, you'd think you were looking at a foreign language, but no, it's English as was spelled back then.

The printing press standardized, or should I say bastardized the spelling of words.

Only trying to inject some humour on a friday afternoon Ayup, I'm sorry if my comment upset you.

Very true DJ, but old man Webster wrote a dictionary based on his opinion of how words should be "spelled/spelt" and he got shot down by many learned gentlemen of the time. But some words were accepted.

If you want to see how English is evolving, just go to Facebook.... I sometimes throw my hands in the air in despair.

Some old English words that are still used stateside.

Dove...no not "duv" but "dowve"...Brit version Dived.

Pled........ Brit..Pleaded.

I'll think of more later.

• 1 year later...

AS IN.............Running bear  'DOVE' in the water..........(..Running Bear......Johnnie Preston circa 1960..)...........c'mon Carnie next line please...........

Edited twice.

Nice one Margie.................if carnie don't get back soon.........she'll be relegated to the 'Do-wopps'...........lol.

• Upvote 2

SEE Jill and Chulla...............they still fight over me..........despite my Liberty Bodice...................lol

• Upvote 3

Do you keep it on during...... erm ... Activities? 

Sorry Fly,i really coud'nt comment...........but if you mean xmas and New Year............yes..............lol

• Upvote 2

Sit down Carni, and take deep breaths !

• Upvote 2

Now you lot, back to the first post.

When we had our Beer-Off in the 70s, we quite often took a cheque off our neighbors in return for cash. It was just a friendly way of helping out. We came unstuck with one new customer who came in every day for a week, buying Cigs and Whiskey, paid with cheque, by the time I had done the banking, his cheques had started to bounce. We lost between thirty/fourty pounds, ( which was a lot in those days) We reported him to the brewery, banned him and decided to just suffer the loss ourselves. There is a lot more to the story but it gets too complicated.