St. Ann's Well Rd, 1958

Taken late-summer (nearly September, Steve was born there in the December) in 1958 after a flash food. It lasted a few hours and resulted in 4/5" rain, and sludge that remained for the rest of the day. The photo was taken from a room over the dry-cleaners on the corner of Livingstone St. Opposite (behind the bus) is Cathcart St, with the Garden Gate pub (closed in 1973) of the left of it. The wall opposite is where St Ann's Sunday School used to be -- St Ann's Church was a little more to the left. There was a fruit and veg shop on the opposite corner of Livingstone St, and it's probably the owner cleaning the mud off the pavement.

From the 1956 Kelly's Directory, the dry-cleaners was Clark's of Retford, dyers & cleaners, and was at no. 184 St Ann's Well Rd.post-1422-0-93550200-1444659043_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I knew a Brian Pegg, wonder if he was any relation to her. But he lived at Clifton, but could well have been relocated to Clifton when St Anns was redeveloped.

Brian worked at Clifton Colliery the same time as myself in the 1960's.

From that 1956 Kellys Directory , my wifes dad was running a greengrocery shop at number 61 St.Anns Well Rd .

My Ist husband Michael Hanbury & best friend Margaret Staton nee Pegg lived next door to one another at 46 & 48 St Anns Well Road. I lived at 101 Alfred Street South, anyone familiar with these names ?

l used to know a Michael Hanbury, did'nt they have a family painting and decorating business near the Dundas pub ?

StAnnsC

has

Michael Hanburys father was a painter & decorator but I do not think he had is own business

His Mum was called Connie & his sister Beryl. Can I ask what connection you have with michael.

I was married to him for 10 years

StAnnsC

has

Michael Hanburys father was a painter & decorator but I do not think he had is own business

His Mum was called Connie & his sister Beryl. Can I ask what connection you have with michael.

I was married to him for 10 years

If I remember rightly he lived in shop around the corner at the bottom of our street which would have been his parents and they had decorating goods in the window and you seem to know most people around the same age group.